Need some help making liquid solutions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Need some help making liquid solutions

Ok I'm completely new to the whole dosing thing so I was wondering if I could get some help.

I just got my shipment of CSM+B, KNO3, and K2PHO4. What I have is a low tech 10 gallon that I am currently using Excel in. I am not using CO2 and I have 1.5 wpg.

I went out and bought (3) 236.5 ml storage bottles. They have a drip spout so I'm hoping to just measure drops out of these bottles. How many tsp of each fertilizer should I add to these 2236.5 ml bottles? I've seen numerous threads on this, but the only thing that really makes sense is dry dosing, and I don't want to mess with measuring 1/32 tsp increments.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
First of all, the CSM+B should be in its own solution. Don't mix it with the macros.

That being said, I highly recommend dry dosing. It's extremely easy and hassle-free, as long as you have the 1/32 tsp scoop. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to "mess" with 1/32 tsp increments.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
First of all, the CSM+B should be in its own solution. Don't mix it with the macros.

That being said, I highly recommend dry dosing. It's extremely easy and hassle-free, as long as you have the 1/32 tsp scoop. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to "mess" with 1/32 tsp increments.
I looked at 3-4 different places and the lowest scoop size i could find was 1/8. Where did you find something that small? I went to Wal-Mart, Target, local food stores.... maybe I just looked in the wrong spot.

And for the record, I was planning on mixing each fertilizer in its own bottle, not all together.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 11:17 PM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
My 2 Cents

Dry dosing works just fine, but if you want a little more control and/or dose a little less sometimes, stock solutions can be easier. Keep PO4 separate from CSM to prevent the Fe and PO4 from forming a precipitate, rendering it useless. I keep KNO3 separate to very the dose depending on the situation. But, K2SO4 and KNO3 can be added to CSM+B without any problems. It's realy not that different then mixing PMDD.

The next thing I notice is the size of your mixing bottles. They really are quite large. I make stock solutions, but never more then 500mL at a time. Even a 250mL stock solution will sit for some time before I need to mix a fresh batch. Chuck Gadd’s dosing calculator can help you create stock solutions for KNO3 and KH2PO4. http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_dosage_calc.htm

If you would like to create a stock solution for CSM+B You are better off mixing small amounts if all you have to dose is a 10 gallon tank. The information is nothing new and comes from Practical PMDD Information. http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/pmdd-tim.html
It should go something like this;
Add 1 tablespoon of CSM+B to 500 mL of distilled water for a stock solution
[(3*4300)/100*6.53]*1000/500
≈1684.74mg/L Fe
Adding 1mL stock solution to 1L of column
=1.68474mg/L.
Assuming a 10 gallon tank has a 30L water column - 2.5mL of this stock solution
≈ .14ppm of Fe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roll Your Own.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2009, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
By far, the easiest way to make a liquid mix of fertilizers is to put 16 doses of the fertilizers into the bottle. Add water, then dose 1/16th of the bottle each time you dose. This works very well with 16 ounce dosing bottles, like http://oregonaquadesign.vstore.ca/pr...ame/containers

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode