Plants are dying fast please help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants are dying fast please help!

I have a 20 gallon long heavily planted tank with val, ludwigia, hygrophila, crypts, etc. I am dosing half of EI with dry fertilizers since I am dosing liquid co2 everyday. I have 3 light strips on the tank which has the total of 47 watts. My plants are starting to get these spots on them and melt. Do I have a nutrient imbalance? which fertz should I adjust?

50% water change-weekly
1/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek
1/16Tsp-1/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
2 drops of K2SO4 3x a week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

How old is the tank? Was the plant growing and then just take a dive?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 11:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saeisbest View Post
I have a 20 gallon long heavily planted tank with val, ludwigia, hygrophila, crypts, etc. I am dosing half of EI with dry fertilizers since I am dosing liquid co2 everyday. I have 3 light strips on the tank which has the total of 47 watts. My plants are starting to get these spots on them and melt. Do I have a nutrient imbalance? which fertz should I adjust?

50% water change-weekly
1/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek
1/16Tsp-1/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
2 drops of K2SO4 3x a week
I'm still new to owning planted tanks but I think you would get some more detailed answers if you were able to take some pics of the plants. A lot of the people on here are basically experts and can tell you what the deficiency may be just off of looks.

Good luck I hope you find out your problem
~Drew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

29g~ Guppies, Blue Pearl Shrimp & 2 Nerites
~ Amazon Sword ~ Anubias Congensis ~ Red Ludwigia
~ Duckweed ~ Dwarf Water Lettuce ~ Moneywort
~ Egeria Densa ~ Java Moss ~ Corkscrew Vals
~ Marimo Moss Ball ~ Salvinia ~Java Moss ~Pearl Weed
~ Red Sword Plant ~ Anubias Petite ~ Phoenix Moss

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
I have a 20 gallon long heavily planted tank
I have 3 light strips on the tank which has the total of 47 watts.

My plants are starting to get these spots on them and melt.
Heavily planted, spots, and melt? Can you post a pic?

Are we correct that this is 47 watts of LED light(strips)?

20 long is very shallow for 47 watts of light.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

sorry forgot to post pics
http://postimg.org/gallery/249l3rf5g/
they are 2 15 watt fluorescent aqueon lights with T8 bulbs and 1 17 watt T8 bulb light. Should I take out one of the light strips?

Bump: The tank is about a month old. Yes it is cycled. I started noticing my plants melting the week after I started adding fertz. The water also became a bit cloudy.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 12:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would pull all plants, clean the tank well, pull old dead growth, make sure substrate was clean, add clean water, and start over again. Then, once all that is done, and you have viable parts of the plants replanted, go slowly with ferts for the first few months. I'd hesitate to say that you may have 'overdosed' your plants, because I don't have as much experience as others here on PT. But that is what it looks like to me. If you don't do weekly 50% water change with the dosing you are doing, you can overdose your plants. I know you say you are doing that, but I think it is worth repeating. You can also make the tank sick from dead plant matter and hurt fish. The beauty of planted tanks is you can make mistakes, and fix them with a good cleaning and rescheduling of ferts. Good learning opportunity. Nothing most of us have encountered at one time or another when we first start keeping planted tanks!
P.S. Does your substrate also have ferts in it? If so, that could really take you over the edge with too much fertilization. You shouldn't have to add ferts to a new substrate that contains fertilizer.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 12:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

+1 on too much light and probably too quick of a jump into high fert. I agree that you should reset and go slow.

Also liquid co2/glut, how much are you dosing?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

3-4 ml the recommended dosage is 2 ml for a 20 gallon but some people say I should add a little more because it does not give as much nutrients to plants as actual co2
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
You may be melting the val with liquid CO2?

I do not use excel products and am not sure of dosing these.
Maybe 1 light, no ferts, 50% WC and look for a change?

Growing is not that difficult.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
3-4 ml the recommended dosage is 2 ml for a 20 gallon but some people say I should add a little more because it does not give as much nutrients to plants as actual co2
Well, glut can be metabolized by plant for co2, and most plant can tolerate higher concentration, but I think if you are going for over dose you would need to ramp it up slowly after the plants are established and healthy.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

excel in many cases does melt val but I am using API CO2 booster, which in the past I used in other tanks with val and no melting
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Many people find Excel even at the normal dose melts Vals (and egeria/anacharis). And you're using a double dose.

As others have said, you might have better luck if you gradually increase the amount of Excel you use.

I think you'd be better off using less light and less Excel. Your plants will do fine in a medium light tank without CO2.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
can you post multiple pictures of your plants

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 03:40 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Tear it down. Start over. Take out all bits of dead plants. Start with all new hardy plants. Half as much light. No liquid CO2. Just use Flourish Comprehensive. Forget dry ferts for now. Looks like too much liquid CO2, too much light, and too much ferts probably killed it, but mostly too much liquid CO2.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You have way too much light. A single T8 bulb in a typical aquarium light will give you about 40 PAR, or low medium light at the substrate in that tank. A 20 Long tank is very low, so the light will only be about 12 inches from the substrate. See https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...ead-watts.html

Use one T8 bulb to light that tank, then everything else you are doing should be ok.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode