Remineralizing RO water - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Audionut

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Remineralizing RO water

So, I am going to be using RO water in my freshwater tanks due to the water from my well being not ideal. I was planning on using the Seachem products (Equilibrium and Alkaline Buffer) to remineralize the water to an appropriate GH and KH. But, I have seen some people online say that Equilibrium isn't the greatest for remineralizing for shrimp. Was just wondering if others had found this to be true?

I am planning a high tech planted setup, and was going to include shrimp, so just wanted to make sure I picked products that are compatible with them.

Also, I have heard you can use Baking Soda to get the KH where it needs to be. Is this still considered acceptable in a high tech planted setup??

Thanks all in advance! Love this forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Many of the alkaline buffers are actually baking soda. Read the labels:
Bicarbonate of soda
Sodium bicarbonate
are names for the same material.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Many of the alkaline buffers are actually baking soda. Read the labels:
Bicarbonate of soda
Sodium bicarbonate
are names for the same material.
Touche'....I get so caught up in trying to make sure everything is just right that I miss the simplest answer. Any opinion on the Equilibrium product??

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 01:51 AM
Planted Member

I can't remember exactly what the issue is with Equilibrium, but I highly recommend using something else for shrimps, based on everything I've read.

~~~
aquatic plant newbie (but a plantaholic above the water)
10G: shrimp only
29G: fish...needs a total redo!
~~~
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 01:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Okay so i have both equilibrium and salty bee gh. Equilibrium is kinda messy. It's really hard to get dissolved. You have to use a lot. Salty bee i use 1.5g in 2.5g to get 7dgh. Im keeping rcs. Equilibrium Would be around 1/2 teaspoon. The salty bee dissolves instantly and the water is clear. Equilibrium is foggy/ cloudy.
Tds is much different. 260s vs 140s.
I got almost a full 500g container of equilibrium that is Going to be wasted.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have both Equilibrium and Salty Shrimp. Both produce 5GH with roughly 180 TDS. I use equilibrium in my planted high tech tank which has RCS. I use salty shrimp for my crystal shrimp tank simply because other have success with it and I don't know any better.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I am going to go with the Equilibrium and just start off with some easy RCS before I inevitably get other types. It will be mixed with a powerhead in a large reservoir ahead of time, so it should have plenty of time to dissolve.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 03:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roostertech View Post
I have both Equilibrium and Salty Shrimp. Both produce 5GH with roughly 180 TDS. I use equilibrium in my planted high tech tank which has RCS. I use salty shrimp for my crystal shrimp tank simply because other have success with it and I don't know any better.
Do you have the gh/kh one or just gh? I wonder why I'm getting such a different reading. My equilibrium is kinda compacted/chunky.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
Do you have the gh/kh one or just gh? I wonder why I'm getting such a different reading. My equilibrium is kinda compacted/chunky.
I use http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006JLVX0/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1452229463&sr=1&keywords=equilibrium+seachem. I mix my powder first into an concentrated RO solution and so that 5ml/gal would get me to the right GH then mix that into my RO water bucket. I find that it is easier this way to get accurate dosing on water small volume.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 05:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm in the same boat as you. My well is liquid rock that comes out of the taps. I use equilibrium in my planted tanks and salty shrimp with my shrimp tanks. Since switching from equilibrium to salty shrimp in the shrimp tanks I have stopped getting those random RCS deaths.

Askhole :

Someone who asks for advice, then does the exact opposite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 07:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to StrungOut
Won't (not according to sachem) equilibrium change both kh and gh? Salty will only change gh.

I've used equilibrium for both plants and shrimp but only with neos.
You don't want to use equilibrium with crystals or taiwan bees, as heard mixed reviews. I used it with blue bolts and they never bred.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by StrungOut; 01-08-2016 at 12:35 PM. Reason: salty only changes gh not kh mistyped
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 08:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Seachem equilibrium contains, potassium sulfate, calcium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, ferrous sulfate and manganese sulfate.

Neither of these will affect KH.
StrungOut and StrungOut like this.

Feel free to edit.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, just to update, this is more complicated than I originally thought it would be. I added the amount suggested of Equilibrium to about 40 gallons of RO water, and it raised my dGH higher than it should have according to my liquid API kit. So, now I have it at 9 dGH instead of the 6 I was aiming for...so I'm going to dilute that out a bit and hopefully bring it down where it needs to be. Same thing happened with my dKH with adding baking soda as well. Added 2 tsp to see where it would get me and I am at 5-6 dKH per the API liquid kit...was hoping for the 3-4 range. Subsequently, my pH is higher at around 7.8-8.0. So, I am hoping that pumping 25% down the drain and refilling with more RO will get me where I need to be approximately.

Also, do people usually aerate this before adding it to tanks?? I have a couple air stones going in it along with the heaters and pump.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag51186 View Post
So, just to update, this is more complicated than I originally thought it would be. I added the amount suggested of Equilibrium to about 40 gallons of RO water, and it raised my dGH higher than it should have according to my liquid API kit. So, now I have it at 9 dGH instead of the 6 I was aiming for...so I'm going to dilute that out a bit and hopefully bring it down where it needs to be. Same thing happened with my dKH with adding baking soda as well. Added 2 tsp to see where it would get me and I am at 5-6 dKH per the API liquid kit...was hoping for the 3-4 range. Subsequently, my pH is higher at around 7.8-8.0. So, I am hoping that pumping 25% down the drain and refilling with more RO will get me where I need to be approximately.

Also, do people usually aerate this before adding it to tanks?? I have a couple air stones going in it along with the heaters and pump.
If you are using RO water then no need to aerate it? Since it does not have high amount of gas from being pressurized like tap water. I mean my RO water sat around in the 5gals jugs for weeks already.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostertech View Post
If you are using RO water then no need to aerate it? Since it does not have high amount of gas from being pressurized like tap water. I mean my RO water sat around in the 5gals jugs for weeks already.
OK thanks. Was wondering about this. Had seen that some people will aerate it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode