High GH, KH and Low pH? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
High GH, KH and Low pH?

Hello everyone,

After some past discussions, I decided to mix my water 25tap/75RO. I was surprised when I tested to find 8 KH and 12 GH in my tank. I do remember, however, that the pure tap was off the meter for KH, GH and pH. Or should I say, it was at the highest range for the test kits. Yes, my tap is well water. Anyway, the really curious thing is that my pH was 6.6. I have not calibrated, is that the cause or is it possible to have this pH with the KH and GH that I have?

Should I do a 10/90 mix?

A large water change is a pain because I have a 125g and my RO only makes about 25g a day. Plus, my rubbermaid is only 30g. So if I want to keep my filter running in the tank, then I can only do a 1/3 water change per day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
It is possible to have a 6.6 pH with 8 dKH or 8 ppm KH water in an aquarium. In the first case, 8 dKH, it could be from tannins in the water, CO2 in the water, or some additive in the water. In the second case, that would be a completely normal pH, if not a little high. GH has no effect on pH.

Hoppy
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hoppy, thanks for your response. I did a water change last night with all RO to dilute the well water more. This morning I had 6.4 pH, 6 dKH and like 178 GH (which is about 10 degrees, right?).

But I do have a piece of cedar driftwood in there. I took it from a 50 year old humanmade lake where it was already waterlogged and soaked it another couple of months with frequent water changes, then I ran it through the super hot cycle and heated dry dish washer cycle twice. My tank water is NOT brownish but I am wondering if there are tannins that are influencing the KH. Or could it still be from my well water?

Now I have been reading about KH and GH. The higher GH than KH often indicates that there is probably a decent amount of Mg, right? Do I need to dose Mg?

I have not been running the CO2 currently because I am waiting on plant packages to start my cycling. Is it possible that the CO2 isn't dissipated from when I DID have the CO2 running? There is no surface agitation. My drop checkers are yellow but I made the solution diy and have ordered some solution from SuMu because I have no confidence in my diy solution now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode