Initial Questions About EI Dosng Strategies - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Initial Questions About EI Dosng Strategies

Hi,

I am contemplating migrating to EI Dosing in the near future.

However before I start to think about switching I have two basic questions.

1. Using the water changing barrel I have, we can only change 24-28 gallons which is less than half, of the 72 gallon tank we have. Would this amount of water change still facilitate the weekly reset? Realizing that the net water volume of the tank is 60 gallons, we are not far from the 50 % mark

2. Is there any history of EI and Discus? Longevity results are probably nonexistent. We can see where the plants would flourish with EI . However some species of fish require purer water. Logically, over fertilization for extended periods of time, surely can't be beneficial to fish or humans.

Regards,
The Rockster
72 Oceanic Bowfront; BML Dutch EX 6500 led; Eheims 2128 & 2028 ProII with spray bar kits; Marineland C-530 Canister; Caribe Tahitian Sand; 6X-18 UV; Full Auto Co2; Cal Aqua d/c;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
you shoudl also check this thread out.
http://www.aquaticplantenthusiasts.c...-aquarium.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

We Have Read About EI, Yet Still Have Questions

Thanks.
I'm a member of that forum.
Orlando is a member of the Barreport, as we are.
Yet we still have questions, and are searching for the answers.

Regards,
The Rockster
72 Oceanic Bowfront; BML Dutch EX 6500 led; Eheims 2128 & 2028 ProII with spray bar kits; Marineland C-530 Canister; Caribe Tahitian Sand; 6X-18 UV; Full Auto Co2; Cal Aqua d/c;

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)

Other folks have had 2-3 generations of Discus grow in their aquariums using EI+ CO2. The Angels in this tank above are all F1's born and raised in this same tank.

I've bred them using EI(Blue Diamonds about 10 years ago now).

If you are concerned about fish, then look no further to CO2 gas. Weekly someone kills their fish on line forums.

Nutrient dosing?
Even after over 10 years, I've yet to have heard of or seem a single confirmed kill by dosing KNO3, KH2PO4, GH, Traces.

You have, as well as every aquarist using CO2, a much greater risk, at least 10,000X more, with CO2, but few will poo poo the CO2 gas or harp on using it correctly with the same obsession that is done with nutrients.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post

Other folks have had 2-3 generations of Discus grow in their aquariums using EI+ CO2. The Angels in this tank above are all F1's born and raised in this same tank.

I've bred them using EI(Blue Diamonds about 10 years ago now).

If you are concerned about fish, then look no further to CO2 gas. Weekly someone kills their fish on line forums.

Nutrient dosing?
Even after over 10 years, I've yet to have heard of or seem a single confirmed kill by dosing KNO3, KH2PO4, GH, Traces.

You have, as well as every aquarist using CO2, a much greater risk, at least 10,000X more, with CO2, but few will poo poo the CO2 gas or harp on using it correctly with the same obsession that is done with nutrients.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Hey Tom,
Your dead right, about gassing fish, as I did it to two of my 4 year old Discus.

I need your input on the first question.

1. Using the water changing barrel I have, we can only change 24-28 gallons which is less than half, of the 72 gallon tank we have. Would this amount of water change still facilitate the weekly reset? Realizing that the net water volume of the tank is 60 gallons, we are not far from the 50 % mark.

If the above is feasible, then I guess the next step would be to get Greg's Dosing Manual

Regards,
The Rockster
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've kept discus quite successfully using methods similar to EI. If you're concerned about fish health increase your water changes and only dose after a WC. As long as you use plants appropriate to your nutrient, CO2, and Light input regimen you'll be fine. If you're going to be feeding the fish high protein meals it's doubtful you'll even need to supplement nitrogen and phosphorus.

Discus are cichlids and are a lot heartier than people give them credit for. How many fish are you going to have in the tank? If it'll be more than 3 you'll need to be doing more than 1x weekly WC anyway so the "reset" factor isn't as great an issue.

~Phil

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That volume should not present much difference really.
Many folks do 2x a week water change and dose only after the water change(2x a week) and this works well if you use lower light intensities.

No algae at all.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Aged water

Hello,

Speaking of water barrels. I have city water
at 7.6 ph. I do w/c for a Discus tank. I use
peat in my tank for the discus to try and
lower the ph. I age my water to also try
and lower the ph.I age my water in a 33 gal.
barrel for a week with dechlor and agitation
with a power head.
Do you think a week is too long to age the
water. I am thinking that it might get a
little contaminated. Sometimes with
aged water, there is a film that builds
up with little crawly things in it.
I was thinking of reducing the aging period.

Thanks.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by walluby View Post
Hello,

Speaking of water barrels. I have city water
at 7.6 ph. I do w/c for a Discus tank. I use
peat in my tank for the discus to try and
lower the ph. I age my water to also try
and lower the ph.I age my water in a 33 gal.
barrel for a week with dechlor and agitation
with a power head.
Do you think a week is too long to age the
water. I am thinking that it might get a
little contaminated. Sometimes with
aged water, there is a film that builds
up with little crawly things in it.
I was thinking of reducing the aging period.

Thanks.
Unless your breeding Discus, or keeping wilds, (Everyone, here, breeding uses r/o water, due to the need of low TDS) the pH of your tap is alright. Discus hatched in captivity don't require low Ph, that is why some keep discus in community tanks. (the largest breeder, here, hasn't tested his Ph in years) just acclimate using the drip method.( I would forget the peat moss)

Also I would join the SimplyDiscus Forum, if your main concerns are the fish.

Lots of folks dump tap water into their tanks, (Python) and then dose with Prime, their tank volume. We don't like this method, and dose the barrel instead. Ours is the preferred method......according to the instructions on a bottle of Prime.
Our criteria is to match the temperature of the tank water, (to within a couple of degrees) after treating with Prime.

There is some discussion, on the time frame of using Prime...........apparently within 72 hours or so, the treated water needs to be filtered, for the Prime to effective. We have had no issues with Prime. If you use Prime and have questions, a good source for answers on any Seachem Product is their forum.

Where did you get your 33 gallon barrel?

I would not put any scummy water with bugs in my discus tank! However, if its not broken, why fix it?

Good Luck

Regards,
The Rockster
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 04:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Thanks Rock - ster,

I am a member, thanks, and I
do care about my fish, in fact
I am concerned about a couple
not eating right now. You can
get the 33 gal. barrel at your
local Home Depot, right where
the other trash cans are.

Thanks,

Jeff
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have never aged water, I make sure marine mixes are fully aged and mixed/dissolved before water changes, but never for Freshwater.

I add tap with the same temp, and add dechlorinator as it fills.

Havign breed discus, and many others species, I think it it's suffice to say, not an issue, particularly if you do frequent water changes with tap or an RO blend or pure RO etc, as long as ther source water is the same, you can do many massive changes using tap.

Since tap is similar to the tank, there's no issue other than dechloriniation.

If you want to lower KH, then an RO blend can be done.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode