TDS cycles of concentration - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
TDS cycles of concentration

Is anyone using TDS readings to determine cycles of concentration vs city water for water changes? If so, what is your target cycles of concentration value? I have recently purchased a TDS pen for my hydroponics set up. I was tinkering with it and determined that I am running 1,000 PPM in my Planted Community Aquarium. My city water is 322 PPM, that gives me 3.41 cycles of concentration, pretty high is presume. I changed out about 4 gallons of tank water with fresh water and it is now down to 862 PPM. I plan to do another partial change daily until I get to somewhere between 1.5 and 2.0 cycles.

Thank you for any constructive criticism.

Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end. Sonny: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Many people do use the TDS to determine water changes, but as you suggest not letting it get that high between water changes.

Fish do not want a sudden, sharp drop in TDS. Better to do smaller water changes that drop the TDS back to the target over several weeks or a month.

I run most of my fresh water tanks between the high 200s (tap water is usually around 280) to about 500. 500 only when I cannot do water changes for a while, with tap water top offs. My preferred parameters are to top off with rain water, and not let the TDS go much over the high 300s.

I also use TDS when I buy new fish. Make Q-tank parameters match the conditions in the bag- GH, KH and TDS. Then change the water several times while the fish are in quarantine until the Q-tank water matches the display tank. I have had problems with delicate fish (Hemiodus especially) if the water change results in a drop in these values of more than 10% in any one water change, or any more frequently than twice a week. Most species are more durable than this, but I know this is a safe value, so I usually target that much change as a maximum, no matter what species.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 10:39 PM
Planted Member

my tap water TDS is between 50 and 60.
TDS in my tank is around 220. So we both have about 3 x tap water TDS in our tanks.
Rain water has TDS of 2 in my area, if I manage to collect some I usually add it to my tank. I only start collecting rain water after it has been raining for a while.
Keep in mind that adding salt will increase your TDS a lot.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccar2000 View Post
I plan to do partial changes daily until I get to somewhere between 1.5 and 2.0 cycles.
And so now after a month of 10% water changes I have lowered my TDS to maintain around 700ppm. With the make-up water it looks like the best I can do is +/-2 cycles.

Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end. Sonny: The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode