Anyone using Prodibio BioKit Fresh? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone using Prodibio BioKit Fresh?

I was at my LFS yesterday and bought my first round of plants. Not knowing much about anything, I let the guy sell me a "BioKit Fresh" from a company called Prodibio. It seems like a nice idea, empty 3 vials into my tank every 15 days (from the website - Combines all the products needed to maintain a planted freshwater aquarium in the same pack). But now I'm questioning how that is possible. If I were to use Excel, I would be dosing every other day. How is it that 3 small vials give everything needed for 2 weeks?

Has anyone used this item? Is it working for you? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Freshwater aquarium maintenance | water quality bacteria clean water | prodibio.com describes the product, which is probably a scam. Nothing on that web page suggests that the seller knows what he is doing, in my opinion. But, then maybe the seller knows a lot more than I do.

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hoppy, this is my concern. This kit was purchased from my LFS. We were originally talking about Flourish and Excel and he mentioned a "new product" that he recommended, this BioKit. I'm not really seeing any info on it other than feedback from reef guys. I guess I will just keep an eye on the plants and see how they respond.

I'm going to give this one "bump" to see if any of the late night visitors have seen this kit before. Thanks for any advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-05-2016 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 04:14 AM
Algae Grower

I've never used it before. Everything it says about "purifying", preventing algae, eliminating nitrates, and having live bacteria seems like a scam to me. The minerals/nutrients provided could be real, but then I feel like the exact elements should be listed somewhere. How one doses depends a lot on the type of plant, growing conditions, light, etc. So just having it based on water volume seems like it would be very hard to dose accurately. If only one element is low, then the plant can get growth defects and not grow as healthy (Allowing algae to move in and take advantage of the extra nutrients as the plants struggle).

For example, if humans have a super healthy diet except they never get vitamin C, they will end up getting sick. While plants don't get scurvy like people, they still need a balance of nutrients.

I'd say, if anything, the kit probably has veryyyyyy tiny amounts of anything useful. I doubt it's harmful, but I don't see it being likely to have any noticeable positive effects. Flourish and excel are probably more reliable, but to really make your plants happy, spot dosing specific fertilizers is the best. I recommend whatever all-in-one liquid fert you find from a reputable brand until you learn more about your new plants growing habits and how to dry fertilize.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I guess that was a $40 lesson. I picked up some Flourish and Excel based on a few other threads and will start there. I'm also beginning to look into the whole dry fert side of things. Thanks for the feedback.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 01:33 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucrsr View Post
Well, I guess that was a $40 lesson. I picked up some Flourish and Excel based on a few other threads and will start there. I'm also beginning to look into the whole dry fert side of things. Thanks for the feedback.
May not be a total waste. Ive seen a thread were the guy used i think seachem stability and it had a significant effect on the speed at which the tank cycled. Bacterial colonies are so important for all organisms i would say boosting benefitial colonies is a worthy cause. Yet It's so unclear on how much effect boosting a bacterial colony would have on plant growth, let alone if the product manages to do this. He was a jackass for selling that too you. Most of them are idiots thought they think it's as straight forward as a water conditioner.

Local Area Man

Last edited by Chalkbass; 01-07-2016 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode