will Gh affect dry ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
will Gh affect dry ferts

hello. here we go again. another question. the more i get into it ,the more questions. so i have high Gh. around 15dkh. and wanted to know if anywhere they sell dry micro ferts without calcium and magnesium, because i already have an excess of those in my tap water(15dkh).

why im asking this? because i have read somewhere that high gh (hard water) affect plants nutritional uptake (can someone confirm??), so i dont want to keep adding ca and mg. im currently dosing flourish, but that has ca, mg in it. i checked out Plantex CSM+B. thats also has ca.mg. i cant afford ro unit right now, but i do need some source of micros. im good on all macros though.

BTW. tank is 36g,65w PC.diy co2. and 15 low light plants.

heres a link which let me to this question:http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...s-high-gh.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

maybe no one know about this. anyway. i guess i will have to start dosing more than recommended amounts. because im seeing little black holes in my plants already (got them 3 days ago). still didnt find the ferts i wanted. guess ill have to buy the ones with ca, mg and take some risks. im also seeing some black dots on one of the plants, can i be algae. BTW curious question.

Can Algae Completely Kill or Harm plants to the point of no return??
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The amount of calcium and magnesium in a high GH tank is over 100 ppm, but any micro element mix will add, at most, a few ppm of any one element, so you don't have to be concerned about that increasing your GH. Do you dose any macro elements - nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus? Those are essential for plant growth.

Hoppy

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hi hoppy, yes i dose everything(macros,NPK+fe), but just don't know how much to dose.

i have a 36g(approx 32g water) with 2" Eco complete and 1" reg gravel. with 65w PC(1.8wpg).on for 12H a day i have 15 low plants hardy plants:

2x Crypt Wendtii,2x Java Fern,2x Micro Sword,2x Amazon Sword,1x Hastifolia, 1x Lanceolota,1x Ruffle Sword,1x Tiger Lotus,1x Anacharis, 1xCoffeefolia, 1x Vals Corkscrew

Now many of my plants have black spots with holes in them, but 1 of them has these black sprinkles on them that dont comes off (maybe bad case of black spot algae??) heres a similar picture :

im dosing using EI: (currently using seachem products)
SUNDAY:50%WC. ADD TRACE (2ml)
MONDAY:ADD Nitrate(if needed yet), ADD PHOSPHATE(5ML),POTASSIUM (7ml)
TUESDAY:TRACE (2ml)
WEDNESDAY:ADD Nitrate(if needed yet), ADD PHOSPHATE(5ML),POTASSIUM (7ml),Iron (2ml)
THURSDAY:TRACE(2ml)
FRIDAY:ADD Nitrate(if needed yet), ADD PHOSPHATE(5ML),POTASSIUM (7ml)
SATURDAY:REST DAY

so weekly total is
trace=6ml
phosphate=15ml which =.6ppm
potassium=21ml which = 8ppm
Iron=2ml which=.2ppm
my nitrate was 40ppm, i did 50% wc today, it dropped to 15ppm now

i dont add more npk, becasue i know trace has some too.

so is this an okay dosing setup??? i dont think my dosing caused algae, i kno the plants had some black spots on them when i got them, and it probably just spreaded because of my nitrates.

im currently over dosing excel, and adding algaefix to get rid of algae, HOPE IT GOES AWAY.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You have high light from that 65 watt PC bulb, unless it has no reflector. So, you are providing much more light than necessary for the types of plants you have. Seachem's NPK solutions are very diluted, and their recommended dosages are only good for low light tanks, not for an EI dosing method. EI dosing uses higher amounts of NPK than you are dosing. And, nitrates don't cause algae - they actually help prevent some algae, as does phosphates. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...-regimes_.html describes appropriate dosages for using the EI dosing method.

Hoppy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yes it has a reflecter, but i thought power compact flourescent were right at the wattage unlike t-5. so how much wattage do you think i really have?? and i will soon buy dry ferts.!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhkawal View Post
yes it has a reflecter, but i thought power compact flourescent were right at the wattage unlike t-5. so how much wattage do you think i really have?? and i will soon buy dry ferts.!
Watts are a measure of the electric power the light consumes, not the amount of light produced. So, your light is a 65 watt light. But, those twin tube PC bulbs, the 55 watt, 65 watt, 36 watt, etc. ones, produce about the same light intensity as a single T5HO bulb. They just use a lot more electricity in doing so. Because they are a twin tube bulb their reflector can't be as good as a reflector for a single T5 bulb, or they would produce more light than a single T5 bulb. AH Supply uses very wide reflectors for their 55 watt PC light kits, and those are possibly the best reflectors used for PC bulbs. 65 watt, square pin arrangement bulbs used in many manufactured aquarium light fixtures often have much poorer reflectors, usually much narrower, so I suspect, but don't know for sure, that they produce less light than an AH Supply kit. I still believe that your 65 watt light is giving you high intensity, or very close to it, and it is much more than those plants need.

Hoppy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

you might be right, the good things are that i have the light on legs about 2.5" away from aquarium, and iam adding diy co2 using the diy reactor (Hagen Elite Mini). i was just having plant problems so thought i made some dosing errors. i will up my dosing a bit. and add excel everyday until algae goes away. i think it made a little difference so far. thanks for your help man, your fast, u must be online same time as me
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhkawal View Post
...thanks for your help man, your fast, u must be online same time as me
I have a turbo-charged keyboard

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode