Drop checker funky colours - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Drop checker funky colours

So I have two different PH solutions. One says to add aquarium water and the other has no instructions.

One of them turns dark green when I mix with 4dkh

I tired mixing the other one with tank water and its bright yellow

What colour should ph solution with 4dkh be?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 10:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Do not use aquarium water.
Use 4dKH water. When mixed with the blue pH indicator this should turn green. When used in the aquarium, and there is plenty of CO2 in the tank it will turn yellow-green, then yellow. (I think pure yellow is too much CO2; a tint of green is OK).
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So I used 4dk and it turns dark green. Is this right? The ph solution is an orange yellow colour

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2016, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
It is best not to use any of the solutions that come with those drop checkers. Just mix up some distilled water from the grocery store with bicarbonate of soda to get a 4 dKH reading, or see one of the posts here that give detailed instructions for arriving at 4 dKH. Add that to the drop checker, and add 2-3 drops of your API pH reagent to that - use the pH reagent that has a color card that goes from yellow at about pH 6 to blue at about pH 7.5. The trouble with the solutions that come with the drop checker is that you have no idea what is in them or how the decision was made as to what to put in the solutions.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode