Newbie needs help with ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Newbie needs help with ferts

Hello, im really new to this and need some help with fertilization. Im currently running an ada 60p with archaea 24" lighting system, eheim 2213 filter and no co2 system. I have in the tank some hair grass, japoinica, java moss,micranthemum, mryothyllam, nana petite, and some trident fern.

I am currently running into some bba all over each blade of hair grass and japoinica and green hair algae all over my java moss. not too sure on the substrate cause the setup was purchased used everything except the plants and filter.

considering majority of the plants that i have are low light i figured that keeping the light on over 9 hours was causing the alage growth so i cut that down to 4 hrs a day. so my next question is if my plants need ferts?

the only thing is that i plan or putting in CRS and CBS into the tank and don't want to use anything that will harm the shrimps.

does anyone have any suggestions on what is should do and what brands i should use?

oh and the circulation seems to be ok my japoinicas and hair grass are all swaying. i used that 5 in 1 strip quick dip test kit so im not sure if this method is accurate for what i am doing.

please help mewbie getting frustrated any suggestions on my setup would be greatly appriciated also

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:56 AM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by defiant View Post
"...no co2 system..."

"...I am currently running into some bba all over each blade of hair grass and japoinica and green hair algae all over my java moss... "
There's a bit of a correlation there...

Try checking this

No Pimp Club.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
If you are not going to use CO2 then use Seachem Excel (it's a source of carbon for the plants). You don't say how many watts the light is. Lighting drives the growth but plants need a source of carbon or algae will gain a foothold. Nitrate, potassium and phosphate and trace elements are needed along with a source of carbon. A source of carbon proportional to your light source is the key first. Strong light~plentiful supply of CO2 (not chemical based Excel or DIY yeast-but a pressurized tank/reactor ect set up) Low light~ Excel a chemical source or DIY yeast generated source.

Mark

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode