How do you check CO2 levels in your tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do you check CO2 levels in your tank?

How do you know that the CO2 levels in your tank? It's not like theres a co2 tester is there?:help :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 01:29 PM
msc
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
drop checker to measure co2
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

RE:drop checker to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by msc View Post
drop checker to measure co2
Please explain.. What type of checker?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Just google drop checker. You find all kinds of info.

I have been keeping planted tanks since 78 or 79. With CO2 since 93 or 94. I can just eyeball the plants, algae and fish at this point to determine if I have enough CO2. I have found that drop checkers can only give you ball park readings and sometimes are just flat out wrong.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUAGARDNER View Post
Please explain.. What type of checker?
Here's a link to GLA's drop checkers. There are several different designs you can get.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheEdge View Post
Just google drop checker. You find all kinds of info.

I have been keeping planted tanks since 78 or 79. With CO2 since 93 or 94. I can just eyeball the plants, algae and fish at this point to determine if I have enough CO2. I have found that drop checkers can only give you ball park readings and sometimes are just flat out wrong.
You know, I agree with you on this 100%, I have a CO2 drop checker and made my own 4dkh solution but I am not really sure how accurate it is. I just added fish and I think going by their breathing rate or their trips to the surface for O2 is much more reliable, also pearling of plants.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanx guys, I'll check that site! Be back with some more dumb questions in a minute!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
This thread made me think I should up on my CO2 and change out the air and solution in my drop checker. I'm seeing string algae even though the drop checker is green. Algae can be your friend as well.

The red sea drop checker is pretty cheap if you don't want to spend too much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to elihanover
Drop checker FTW.

There's no basement in the alamo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Algae Grower

I have a question...what happens to the solution IF you dont change it out? Does it stay green indefinetly when it gets old? does it go back to blue? does it turn clear?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to elihanover
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelessr1 View Post
I have a question...what happens to the solution IF you dont change it out? Does it stay green indefinetly when it gets old? does it go back to blue? does it turn clear?

I just changed mine for the first time in over a year. The color still worked and indicated the level pre-change, but post change it was a lot brighter.

I'm told that because of the high lighting level in most planted tanks, the dye can sometimes be misleading if it has been sitting there for too long.

There's no basement in the alamo.

Last edited by elihanover; 12-10-2009 at 01:39 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 07:40 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheEdge View Post
I can just eyeball the plants, algae and fish at this point to determine if I have enough CO2. I have found that drop checkers can only give you ball park readings and sometimes are just flat out wrong.
X3

IME guppies/endlers are a perfect fish to use for a reference point. They normally cruise at all levels of the aquarium, but if your starting to max out with CO2, guppies will gasp at the surface much sooner than any other fish. When you start seeing this start to happen, cut the bubble rate down from there. Once you see they're now back to their usual selves, cruising the whole tank. That's where you want to keep it. With respective lighting you will see much pearling from most plants, if not all.

|
|
|
|
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by elihanover View Post
I just changed mine for the first time in over a year. The color still worked and indicated the level pre-change, but post change it was a lot brighter.

I'm told that because of the high lighting level in most planted tanks, the dye can sometimes be misleading.

Awesome..thanks!! good info!

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 10:24 PM
smp
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
X3

IME guppies/endlers are a perfect fish to use for a reference point. They normally cruise at all levels of the aquarium, but if your starting to max out with CO2, guppies will gasp at the surface much sooner than any other fish. When you start seeing this start to happen, cut the bubble rate down from there. Once you see they're now back to their usual selves, cruising the whole tank. That's where you want to keep it. With respective lighting you will see much pearling from most plants, if not all.

I'd love to put a few in my tank... but they are too low on the food chain. Any other fish (tetra's, rainbows, etc) that are good indicators?

Tags
co2, co2 levels, testing co2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode