GH boost confusion - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
GH boost confusion

All the online calculators are saying to add 3 3/4 tsp ( 21g )once per week at your 50% water change.

This seems high compared to the other doses. Is it correct or are the calculators giving out wrong information ?

Thanks

75g tank

Last edited by reaper7534; 12-27-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: tank size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 08:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yeah thats correct. It all depends on how much you want to raise your GH. I dont have the equation on hand but its ez to find on here. I imagine that will raise your water by 3gh or so. I add around 1 tbsp, and a lil MGso4, but I have a starting Gh of 1.

Bump: Oh yeah I forgot to mention that if you start to dose Mgso4 (epsom salt) it will be the same way. That is that it will call for alot, as I guess most of it is water. Mgs04 raises Gh too so you have to figure out a balance of Gh booster, Mgso4, and or CaS04 if your going to use several things to raise your GH. I'm in the process of trying to add enough GH booster to raise the gh about 3 degrees, and then use Mgso4 and Cas04 to raise the gh another 3 degrees. Kind of playing around with trying to figure out if my plants are defcient in calcium. For w/e reason I dont feel that GH booster adds enough, even though its mainly made up of calcium and magnesium or w/e it is. However if you dont have soft water there is probably no reason to go to such lengths... My tap is 0-1 gh and 0-1 kh... its a real pita, and plants do not like to grow if a lot of gh booster isnt used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

These are my parameters out of the faucet, BTW I'm on well water

Ph 6.8
Kh 5
Gh 5
Nitrate 0

My tank numbers before any dosing

Ph 7.0
Kh 5
Gh 6
Nitrate 5.0

I may be slightly off due to trying to tell the difference in colors

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 11:22 PM
Planted Member

you may have enough GH. But its better to check your local water report, to figure out the ppm of Ca AND Mg separately

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Joe [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll have to find out how to have well tested, can't find any published reports. Am I going to hurt anything by dosing that amount ? Can I cut it in half just to play it safe ?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 06:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
GH boost confusion

Is there a specific GH reading to aim for in a tank?

What reading will ensure that our plants have enough calcium and magnesium ?

For example, my tap water has a GH of 9 according to API test. Is this a good level or should I add more?

Will adding more hurt anything? Cause algae? Like the OP, to raise it another 2 degrees, using zorfox's calculator, I would have to add 4 tsp of nilocs GH booster.

Thanks!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Was wondering if someone can share their input. Thanks.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Unless you have a calcium or magnesium test kit then you really dont know what makes up the gh of your tap water. Even with a gh of 9 I would suggest adding a little gh booster just to make sure you have enough.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 10:41 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
To elaborate on what nilocq said, in my case tap water has a GH around 8-9. But it's made up of a ton of Ca and very little Mg. So I add more of the latter via epsom salt.

Usually you can google your city or county's water report and get a rough idea what the ratio is.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I live in San Gabriel, CA.

Here's what I think is the water quality report for 2015:

http://www.gswater.com/wp-content/up...an-Gabriel.pdf

The average reading for nitrates is 9

Calcium 34

Magnesium 11

Potassium 1.7

So, does my water ha e enough calcium and magnesium or should I add nilocs GH booster.

What's the ratio that ones has to aim for?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 12:12 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
3:1 - 5:1 Ca:Mg is what most people shoot for, although the jury is still out on how important having a certain ratio is in the first place. Just so long as there is enough of both.

I didnt look at the report but those levels sound fine, assuming the report is accurate. It wont hurt to add a bit of GH booster, enough to increase it a point or two. nilocq can better advise you on exactly how much.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
I would say you are probably good to go, if you wanted to add another degree of gh just to be safe that would be fine, but probably not needed.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Despite my tap water having what appears to be the right amount of both Ca and Mg...my staurogyne repens seems to be deficient on Mg.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The balance between Ca and Mg in your tap water is good.
To supplement I would use a complete GH booster, or else make your own with the right blend of Ca and Mg to maintain a ratio somewhere in the neighborhood of 4:1 Ca:Mg.
The most common GH boosters also contain potassium (usually K2SO4) and this is a good fertilizer, too. But if you are already dosing a lot of potassium some other way you might want to make your own GH booster.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
The balance between Ca and Mg in your tap water is good.

To supplement I would use a complete GH booster, or else make your own with the right blend of Ca and Mg to maintain a ratio somewhere in the neighborhood of 4:1 Ca:Mg.

The most common GH boosters also contain potassium (usually K2SO4) and this is a good fertilizer, too. But if you are already dosing a lot of potassium some other way you might want to make your own GH booster.

Thank you.

I am using Niloq GH booster which is composed of magnesium:calcium:potassium 1:3:3

When using zorfox's calculator and set it at the estimative index method with a 2ppm raise I get these readings:

Now,

My tap water average reading for calcium is 53ppm and the average for magnesium is 14ppm.

As you mentioned most likely I already have enough of calcium and magnesium and there's no need to dose more. However, take a look at this picture:

Doesn't that appear to be a magnesium deficiency?

If it is, will the addition of my above dose of GH booster be enough to fix the issue.

Will the extra calcium make things worse? Will adding only 2.16 ppm of Mg be enough?

Since the above dose gives me 20ppm of K will that take care of K for the whole week or should I be adding more K when dosing Macros?

Or should I stop using GH booster and add Epsom salt to increase my magnesium levels instead.

By how many ppm should it be increased? Is the correct option MgSO4.7H2O?

Millions thanks for the replies

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode