Necessary amount of co2 change over time? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Necessary amount of co2 change over time?

Ok this might be a common sense answer...which I think I know the answer already. But I would just like to ask as I am not super experienced with the whole co2 method. Anyways, now that my tank has been going for about 2 full months now, I have been adding the same amount of co2 the whole time. One 2 liter bottle with 1/2 tsp yeast, 1 cup sugar. I do not know the ppm in the tank to further be exact(I just kind of judged by the plants appearance). But when my plants were "young" and freshly planted they would pearl a lot. There would be tiny little trains of bubbles being released. But now, my plants are 2-3 times there original size, but I'm still adding the same amount(recipe) of co2. The plants still pearl, but nothing like they used to. Or maybe it's just harder to notice as they have reached the surface.

SO..... as plants get bigger do you need to add more co2? Or does Xppm = Xppm no matter how many/big your plants are? It makes sense to me that they would use more up the bigger they get. As they have a bigger surface area to take more in. So your original 30ppm, at tank start up lets say, might go down as they grow and use more? So you have to raise your BPS? I guess it works like ferts do. I have already noticed that as they got bigger, my original amount of ferts became insufficient. So I add 3x a week now.

Just doing a little thinking as I examine my tank and raise questions to myself and I notice little things.(pressurized be here this week hopefully )

Thanks for reassuring/explaining if I have the right idea down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
You want to maintain the same PPM in the water. As co2 consumption increases, so too should co2 inputs. In other words, what got you to 30ppm before won't do so as plant mass increases. In heavily planted tanks, you want higher flow and co2 than before. Of course, watch your fish whenever you make changes. This will all be much easier to control once you get pressurized - but be careful at first; small twists on the needle valve are the difference between success and fish death! "With great power comes great responsibility!"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ah ok, thanks macclellan. So I have the general idea right. Thanks for the heads up with the sensitivity of the needle valve. I can't wait to get this pressurized setup going. I just found out were supposed to have "blizzard like" conditions this week. Those UPS drivers better have snow tires!! I don't want late packages lol.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Green024
which pressurized co2 setup did you go with?

Pimp #420
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got the primo co2 regulator from GLA. With a 3000 diffuser for now. I will get my own bottle at the local welding shop. I plan on getting a glass inline diffuser in the future. But I just spent to much for one month .........way to much. Paying off the car so the fancy accessories will have to wait. Rest of my money will be plants only for the new setup.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode