Appropriate nitrate levels? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Appropriate nitrate levels?

I read somewhere that high nitrates can cause stunting in fish, is this true? Also what nitrate level do I want, I am dosing PPS-PRO and the time is coming to make a new batch of ferts and I am wondering if i need the KNO3 this time around. My test look like this:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2-...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2-...ew?usp=sharing

Should I stop dosing KNO3? I do 20 gallon WC's on my 55g every week.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 10:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Best I can tell from the pic is that your around 5 ppm and 20 ppm. That's not bad at all. There is a Thread on this site that tells you how to calibrate your test kit for nitrate if you want to get a bit more accurate. So from what I can see in the pic I would continue with how your dosing.

I Seek The White Whale!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 11:15 PM
Planted Member

Imo
While the level of no3 is a good indication how much waste built up (from fish food, decaying plant respiration waste, excessive fertilization…etc), kno3 itself is not that toxic. (Can try it with rodi and kno3 only environment) The level of how much waste your tank can hold without crashing the balanced varies from tank to tank too (how much and what fish food, plants…)

If u already have enough no3 u can skim on dosing kno3. But u still need K

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Joe [
]

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 12:13 PM
Planted Member

I stop dosing KNO3 when my Nitrates consistently reach 40 ppm or higher. Yours looks like its in the 40 ppm range so you are right on the cusp of that threshold. Every tank is different and this is what works for me. I dose using the EI method for low tech tanks or 1/3 EI and lately I've gone from 50% water changes every week to every two weeks but only dose 1/3 EI once for that two week period. TDS only go to 200-225 in that two weeks and my tap is ~ 70.

75 gallon planted low tech
10 gallon quarantine planted low tech
5 gallon planted (sons) low tech
Plant heavily, fertilize well, stock lightly, change water weekly, and most importantly do not use too much light.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 12:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
Should I stop dosing KNO3?
I mix a bottle of the "NF" PPS Classic solution.
I don't resume the PPS Pro mix until NO3 drops.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I stopped testing for nitrates a long time ago, partly because the API nitrate tests are so unreliable and mostly because if you do the weekly water changes then it will not reach toxic levels anyway. I noticed a big improvement in plants after adding dtraight EI dosing and ignoring what the test said I had to start with.

When I calibrated my test it showed 80PPM when I actually had 20PPM
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2015, 09:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I stopped testing for nitrates a long time ago, partly because the API nitrate tests are so unreliable and mostly because if you do the weekly water changes then it will not reach toxic levels anyway. I noticed a big improvement in plants after adding dtraight EI dosing and ignoring what the test said I had to start with.

When I calibrated my test it showed 80PPM when I actually had 20PPM
That's valid if the water your putting in has low or no nitrates. My tap water ranges from 8.9 to 37ppm the average is 20ppm. I have to test and adjust and my nitrates can actually increase from a water change!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode