Fertilisers - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 35
Fertilisers

Need help on what ferts to have on hand when I setup my high tech planted tank. I currently have eco complete substrate and seachem flourish, just wondering what else are a must have.
Ukelay1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 12:59 AM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 161
iron and potassium would be good to start with, you can get others later if needed.
gbb0330 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 35
Is that K2SO4?
Ukelay1 is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (84/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 21,015
If you have a high light tank you need to use pressurized CO2, and you need to dose nitrates, phosphates, potassium and all of the trace elements. See https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...-regimes_.html for a very good easy way to do that.

Hoppy
Hoppy is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If you have a high light tank you need to use pressurized CO2, and you need to dose nitrates, phosphates, potassium and all of the trace elements. See https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...-regimes_.html for a very good easy way to do that.
Thanks for the link I'll check it out, I have a co2 kit ready to go but was in the dark with what ferts I need.
Ukelay1 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 07:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Straight shooter's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 379
Macros: Nitrate, phosphate, potassium (plus calcium and magnesium if you're using RO water or your water is low in these nutrients)

Micros: Iron, boron, copper, zinc etc etc. Seachem Flourish has these nutrients already, so you just need macros.

You'll need to make sure all of these elements are readily available to plants by dosing multiple times per week, replacing what the plants take up.

If you don't want to DIY ferts, you can buy ready made ferts like the Seachem range. Seachem are pretty diluted and expensive. There are better preprepared solutions available.. someone else name these please, I'm in a rush.
Straight shooter is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight shooter View Post
Macros: Nitrate, phosphate, potassium (plus calcium and magnesium if you're using RO water or your water is low in these nutrients)

Micros: Iron, boron, copper, zinc etc etc. Seachem Flourish has these nutrients already, so you just need macros.

You'll need to make sure all of these elements are readily available to plants by dosing multiple times per week, replacing what the plants take up.

If you don't want to DIY ferts, you can buy ready made ferts like the Seachem range. Seachem are pretty diluted and expensive. There are better preprepared solutions available.. someone else name these please, I'm in a rush.
Interesting you said that, I'm not using ro water, so should I have my tap water tested? My tank is slitely overstocked so nitrates will be readily available also phosphates, was going to purchase seachem iron and potassium but since you've said that I'm not sure what brand to buy??
Ukelay1 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 09:59 AM
ppp
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 112
Best deal is to buy dry fertilizers - I got mine from NiloG and start a EI dosing schedule. Use Zorofox's windows based calculator to work out doses. You can go with dry dosing or make a solution. I find it easier to make a solution that lasts me 3-4 weeks.
ppp is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 10:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Straight shooter's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 379
It won't hurt to know carbonate levels (KH) because if you inject CO2 cabonates help prevent wild pH swings. Plants also use them for growth, as do nitrifying bacteria. A KH of 2-6 if often recommended for this reason.

Calcium and magnesium are most easily tested with a GH kit. Very loosely, a GH of 4-8 is often recommended for best plant growth, dependant on plant species of course.

Test your tap water and tank water if you can. Things like rocks and some substrates can affect KH and GH.

Last edited by Straight shooter; 12-24-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Straight shooter is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight shooter View Post
It won't hurt to know carbonate levels (KH) because if you inject CO2 cabonates help prevent wild pH swings. Plants also use them for growth, as do nitrifying bacteria. A KH of 2-6 if often recommended for this reason.

Calcium and magnesium are most easily tested with a GH kit. Very loosely, a GH of 4-8 is often recommended for best plant growth, dependant on plant species of course.

Test your tap water and tank water if you can. Things like rocks and some substrates can affect KH and GH.
I have a kh of 4-5 but I don't have a gh tester, I was going to get my tap water tested and workout how much gh booster I'll need to add weekly, sounds like I'll need a few more test kits..
Ukelay1 is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 01:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Straight shooter's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 379
KH is perfect. No worrying about KH for you.

Get your LFS to test your GH. If it's within the good range, don't buy a GH kit unless you really want one. If the levels need tweaking, buy a kit so you can observe changes.

If you're a nerd like me you may just want these kits to have on hand for your next experiment.

I don't recommend the API GH test where the color changes from yellow to green. Way too hard to note a color change for an effective result in the ranges we test in.
Straight shooter is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome