Dosing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dosing

Hi, need help with dosing, fresh water planted tank, I got flourish exel, potassium and Iron...
what should I use, when and why?
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 01:09 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
You can take a look at a quick primer I wrote (linked in my signature below) for more details, but in brief, you are missing a source of nitrogen (usually supplied as nitrate) and phosphorus (usually supplied as phosphate) for your plants.

Flourish Excel serves as a carbon source (an alternative to carbon dioxide)
Flourish potassium provides potassium to plants
Flourish iron provides iron to your plants (though other micronutrients may be required).

Plants require both macronutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium are the major ones that we dose) and micronutrients (iron, molybdenum, nickel, copper, etc).

There are also various fertilization regimens, depending on what level of maintenance you like to have (and they can be tailored to your needs).

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok that sounds like a lot of information lol, and how do I dose what I have or what should I dose?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 03:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtroublenj View Post
ok that sounds like a lot of information lol, and how do I dose what I have or what should I dose?
You can dose EI or PPS-PRO, both are methods of dosing that provide all the elements that plants need. What light fixture? What plants? Then people can tell you how you should dose.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 06:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Before you start dosing please understand the need for it. Water change and fish food adds a lot of nutrient for the plants. These nutrient sources are not balanced and needs some potassium at least to balance and make the nutrients, more or less satisfactorily balanced. In aquariums with low mass of plants and/or not too intensely lighted - the nutrients from the food and water changes are usually sufficient to maintain the plants and over-doing fertilisers usually leads to outbreaks of algae.

By adding excel/metricide or CO2 you are trying to increase the total photosynthesis, increase plant growth, increase their need of fertilisers - that is not a good policy. Its better to add CO2 or its supplements only when you have excess nutrients which the plants are unable to absorb and utilise unless their growth rate is increased. Even in such cases its better to increase the mass of plants by addition of more plants rather than going the excel/metricide or CO2 way.

Overdoing the lights and fertilisers only makes you a slave to the tank. If you keep the needs of adding fertilisers/excel/CO2 to the minimum you will find the hobby more enjoyable and relaxed as it should be.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wow thanks a lot assabee!

*essabee
in reality this is more simple than what people say. you gotta dose this you got to do that...

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-28-2015 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode