Read the dosing guide... my head hurts.. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Read the dosing guide... my head hurts..

Can someone put this into some really easy math for me. I ordered the GLA ESTIMATIVE INDEX E.I. FERTILIZER PACKAGE and plan to start dosing with it some time next week.

I currently have not been dosing any fertilizer and have dosed Excel only for carbon.

This week I started using pressurized co2 and 12-24 I'm adding a Finnex 24/7 over a 75 gallon tank with playsand substrate.

I have no idea what kind of plants I have now, but they are just some cheap stuff from petsmart.

If I need to add any other ferts please advise and I'd appreciate some easy to understand dosing schedule.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
60~80gal (75 gallons is well within this range)
50% H20 change-weekly (to limit the maximum amount of any of the chemicals in the water)
3/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week (supplies potassium and nitrates)
3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week (supplies phosphate and tiny amount of potassium)
1 Tsp-GH booster once a week (makes sure you have enough magnesium)
15ml 3/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week (CSM+B is the most used trace mix)
Optional
4-8ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week (chelated iron, but only a few of us do this)

(Don't dose KH2PO4 on the same day you dose trace elements or chelated iron)

If you have low light, and don't use CO2, the plants will be growing slowly, so you can use about 1/3 of the above dosages.

Hoppy
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
60~80gal (75 gallons is well within this range)
50% H20 change-weekly (to limit the maximum amount of any of the chemicals in the water)
3/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week (supplies potassium and nitrates)
3/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x a week (supplies phosphate and tiny amount of potassium)
1 Tsp-GH booster once a week (makes sure you have enough magnesium)
15ml 3/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week (CSM+B is the most used trace mix)
Optional
4-8ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week (chelated iron, but only a few of us do this)

If you have low light, and don't use CO2, the plants will be growing slowly, so you can use about 1/3 of the above dosages.
I take it that is teaspoon, correct ? How do you measure such a small amount 3/16 ?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper7534 View Post
I take it that is teaspoon, correct ? How do you measure such a small amount 3/16 ?
Imo the easiest way is to mix them into a bigger batch (like 500ml, enough for 25-50 dose) and dose liquid instead of powder.

I like this calculator
Aquarium Calculators | Estimative Index | DIY Aquarium Plant Food Calculator

Use the stock solution calculation.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostertech View Post
Imo the easiest way is to mix them into a bigger batch (like 500ml, enough for 25-50 dose) and dose liquid instead of powder.

I like this calculator

I'm actually using that site now to set up a spreadsheet. Last question, do I have to do one large water change at 50 % or can I do several smaller ones ? I will have discus so I will be doing around the 20 gallon water changes per week on a 75 gallon tank.

Bump:
Quote:

I like this calculator

I'm actually using that site now to set up a spreadsheet. Last question, do I have to do one large water change at 50 % or can I do several smaller ones ? I will have discus so I will be doing around three 20 gallon water changes per week on a 75 gallon tank.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 11:39 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Try this for dry dosing:
http://smile.amazon.com/Norpro-3080-Stainless-Measuring-smidgen/dp/B0009X1P9S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1450740901&sr=8-5&keywords=spice+spoons
You can also buy a gram scale, which will be much more accurate than those spoons if you want to liquid dose. Pick one, preferably one which goes to the hundredths place at least.
http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gram+scale
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I'm actually using that site now to set up a spreadsheet. Last question, do I have to do one large water change at 50 % or can I do several smaller ones ? I will have discus so I will be doing around the 20 gallon water changes per week on a 75 gallon tank.
Well the idea with the 50% WC is to ensure that at least half of the ferts are removed every week so even if plants does not consume anything, you won't have any more build up than 1.5x of the weekly dosing. With the smaller incremental change the amount of fert removed is harder to calculate because that depend on where you are on the weekly cycle.

In other word, one 50% WC will remove a bit more than 2x 25% WC
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 11:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Use this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y3YI72?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
to do this

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited by ichy; 11-02-2016 at 01:29 AM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 11:56 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I've read this everywhere, mixing KH2PO4 and trace elements can lead to precipitation ... question if you don't mind. Does it happen only at higher concentration like stock solutions, or even at lower concentration in tank?

My tap water reads 2ppm PO4 (tested by my API test kit with calibrated solutions, and by a friend with Seachem test kit). Tank water PO4 is always above 2ppm due to fish food. Will Fe be lost in my case?

I can vouch that gram scale is much more accurate, spoons have higher margin of error.
I measured 10 counts of each spoon, weighed, and divided by 10. Results are shown in the picture.
Attached Images

Last edited by max88; 12-22-2015 at 02:48 AM. Reason: .
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Well the idea with the 50% WC is to ensure that at least half of the ferts are removed every week so even if plants does not consume anything, you won't have any more build up than 1.5x of the weekly dosing. With the smaller incremental change the amount of fert removed is harder to calculate because that depend on where you are on the weekly cycle.

In other word, one 50% WC will remove a bit more than 2x 25% WC
Hmmm... the complicates things a bit for me. My water change tank only holds about 20 gallons at one time. I'll need to check my ph from the tap and see how close it is to tank water.

Imagine that, my tap water ( well water ) is almost the same ph level as the aquarium ( co2 has been running for about 7 hours now ). Looks like I don't even need the storage barrel except for some quick topoffs.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-22-2015 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 12:22 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Hmmm... the complicates things a bit for me. My water change tank only holds about 20 gallons at one time. I'll need to check my ph from the tap and see how close it is to tank water.
Not sure what you mean by water change tank? Are you using RO water, or do you let water sit out for some reason?

Bump: Bump you replied as i was typing. Agreed, there's usually no reason to "age" water, except in specific circumstances.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Not sure what you mean by water change tank? Are you using RO water, or do you let water sit out for some reason?

Bump: Bump you replied as i was typing. Agreed, there's usually no reason to "age" water, except in specific circumstances.

I'm still re-training myself since I come from saltwater background, RODI and such. I used to have a auto topoff system with that to keep up with salinity and evaporation.

I set up the the water change station to help my father ( 67 yo ) who likes to help with the tank, figured it would just make life easier for him not having to lug water around.

I did order a python to help with draining so he could just hook it up and drain and use the aged water to refill ( 20 gallon capacity ). Now that I know my ph is the same or very close, I can just have the python to the whole thing as long as water temp is very close.

Kev, just noticed your in Greensboro ... I'm in Trinity/Thomasville just outside of High Point
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 01:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

You have non-chlorinated well water! I'm jealous!!

But even without, I just use a python to do a 50% wc once a week straight into the tank. I just dump a capful of dechlorinator right in the tank and top off with city juice. Have yet to have a problem.

I don't have any idea what the pH is of the tap water.

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by max88 View Post
I've read this everywhere, mixing KH2PO4 and trace elements can lead to precipitation ... question if you don't mind. Does it happen only at higher concentration like stock solutions, or even at lower concentration in tank?
It happens at higher concentrations, for sure, but I know many of us have dosed the two on the same day and saw no problems doing so. Unless there is a reason to dose everything the same day it seems like good sense to do the iron and phosphate on different days.
Quote:

I can vouch that gram scale is much more accurate, spoons have higher margin of error.
I measured 10 counts of each spoon, weighed, and divided by 10. Results are shown in the picture.
The idea with this EI method for dosing is that it isn't at all critical to get the doses just right. They are just approximately right. If you make a 50% error, it won't do any harm. So, I use the tiny spoons and don't worry about it. I also double the KH2PO4 dosage because I find it keeps me from getting any GSA on the glass or plants. You can weigh the chemicals for more accuracy, but since you don't know what the exact weight needed is, you don't accomplish anything by doing that.
ichy and ichy like this.

Hoppy
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 10:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

To add to Hoppy,
EI is intended to "overdose" so there is NEVER a limiting factor with the macro or micro nutrients. So if you follow the EI dosing guide and even weigh out the nutrients, those values are INTENDED to "over fertilize". So again, you don't really accomplish anything by weighing.

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

++++++++++++++++++++

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode