Is this a fungus? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this a fungus?

Hi all,

First off, I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so moderators feel free to move it if you think it belongs elsewhere.

I just moved some celestial Pearl danio fry from my nano tank into a 10 gallon bare bottom that I setup for them. 48 hours later I have one fry left.

At first I thought it was ammonia/nitrite poisoning from over feeding, but I put filter media from my nano tank into the filter for this tank.

I was looking through my tank and noticed some fuzzy stuff on a piece of cholla wood that I took from another tank I was using to house an injured CPD. Is this fungus or is it biofilm of some sort?

Thanks for any replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1450447685069.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	560713  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That is a fungus that is generally safe for fish. Some (mostly Loricariads) like to eat it.
You can find out more about it by looking up 'Wood snot', a common name for this in planted tank circles.
If there is just a bit let it be. If it keeps on growing then I would remove most of it. Whatever you can get out with the least damage to the set up. Don't worry about not removing it all, it will come back.

I have no idea why the fry died. Looks like there is fine fuzzy plant material, and this usually grows microorganisms for the fry to nibble on between meals.
Have you tested the ammonia and nitrite?

Did you fill this tank with water from the tank they hatched in? Fry are much more sensitive to changing water parameters than adult fish. Even 1 degree of difference might be a problem.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I should've been more clear on my definition of fry because they're more like young fish at this point. They hatched probably a month ago or more, so they're around 3/8-1/2 inch long (9-12mm). Unfortunately I haven't tested ammonia/nitrites because I don't have my test kit at the moment.

I didn't fill the tank with water from the original tank because this tank is 10 gallons and the original tank is 2 gallons. I included maybe a gallon of original water and drip acclimated the fish.

Is it worth buying some sort of fungal cure?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
That wood snot is harmless and actually grows microorganisms that shrimp, snails and other grazing fish/fry would pick at as food. So no, a fungal medicine is not needed.

As mentioned, fry can be sensitive to poor water quality, cleanliness, and acclimating to new water parameters.
Check your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and even the temperature. Too late now (except for the one fry), but good to find out what may have caused the deaths to know for the future fry.

How long has that tank been set up? Does it happen to have copepods (tiny white dots crawling on objects and swims in a spastic/jerky manner)?
I've heard some species of copepods are predators and can actually hurt/kill some fish species of fry.

Do you actually see the dead fry bodies around? Or are the possibly hiding in the cholla wood/plants?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank that the fry came from does have some seed shrimp in it, but that's it and they've outgrown the seed shrimp hugely so they clearly weren't an issue.

The tank that they're in now was setup on the day that I put them in. Everything I read on setting up a fry tank said that you can just setup the tank as long as you add in filter media from the existing tank so that it has a nitrogen cycle going. I just got my test kit back, so I'll test the water when I get home to see what's going on. I've done 40-50% water changes both days since the tank has been setup as well as adding aquarium salt and Prime to the tank to help detoxify any ammonia in the tank.

There were 9 fry total. I think I've pulled out four bodies. No idea where the others have gone. The only things in the tank are a piece of cholla wood with anubias and weeping moss, a rock, another piece of driftwood with java fern on it, a heater, an internal filter, and a sponge filter. I took everything out of the tank and am only seeing one fish. After I did my water change yesterday there were two fry left in the tank. Four hours later I could only find one and I took the whole thing apart. Not a clue where it went.

The java fern is new - I bought it from petsmart for this tank. I noticed yesterday that it has some eggs on one of the leaves. I'm not sure if CPD's lay their eggs on decorations or if they're snail eggs from petsmart. (I just looked up some pictures of CPD eggs and snail eggs, and they're definitely snail eggs. Gonna have to rip those out when I get home.)

Last edited by GrantF; 12-18-2015 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Snail egg confirmation
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Was able to test the water and ammonia was at 0.5 ppm. I guess that's the culprit.

Could it be Blackbeard algae?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-20-2015 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Maybe. Can you add a better picture?
The fungus grows white but can collect dust, so turns grey. It is soft and gooey, has no real structure (no stems or roots) and it is pretty easy to remove.
Black Beard Algae is much darker, though individual strands might look lighter. Usually you cannot really see a single strand; it grows in a mass. It clings really well. Almost impossible to remove. While botanically it does not have stems and roots in the same way as higher plants, you should be able to tell that there are some sort of structures.

Ammonia: The best way to deal with it is to do water changes, but the new water must have no ammonia. Tap water treated with chloramine has ammonia.
Dechlorinator will lock up the ammonia, usually long enough for the nitrifying bacteria to deal with it, but for fry in a new set up you might want to start with RO or distilled water that you know has no chlorine or chloramine. Then add just the minerals you need to make it match what they were in before.

Nitrite: If the test shows NO2, then add salt (Sodium chloride) at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons. This is a very low dose, OK for most salt-sensitive fish. Salt can also relieve stress to some extent. For a soft water species, though, I would not add salt unless there was an obvious reason like NO2 or Ich.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a closer look at it.

The salt that I had added was aquarium salt rather than table salt so shouldn't be an issue. Nitrites were at zero so I'm ok in that department for now.

I'll try to take a better picture but it doesn't really come out well in photos.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode