My Water Parameters (Gh,KH)??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Water Parameters (Gh,KH)???

hi, my gh is 15(268ppm) and kh 10(179ppm), and ph is 7.6.do you guys think my gh and kh are ideal for plants. would i need a softner? because liveaquaria.com told me i would need to buy an RO unit because of my kh and gh? cant spend more money on this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:06 AM
Planted Member

Softeners that work through ion exchange are going to dump sodium in your tank, which is worse than what they're taking out.

You've got hard water, not impossible water. There are plants that will grow in your tap water; get to know which ones they are. Alternatively, get some ADA aquasoil and watch your pH drop right out.

Don't listen to liveaquaria or foster and smiths advice about anything. You may be able to get a good deal on hardware from them here and there, but their applied knowledge of plants is horrible. Most of it exists just to sell you products.

-Philosophos
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Before I changed to RO/DI I had very hard water here in Dallas. Never had a problem growing plants in it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yea, i heard many plants can adjust also, guess i will give it a go, and see what happens.
Next thing, Does anyone have a list of fertilizer requirements for a 36 gal heavely planted tank, like how much of each ferts should be in the tank? (ex. like 10-15ppm nitrogen) anyone know the rest or can give me a link??
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Never mind that question, becasue i found the answer. for any1 thats wants to know it is:

Nitrates can be supplied via potassium nitrate (KNO3). The target range for nitrates 5-10 ppm.

Phosphates can be supplied via monopotassium phosphate or Fleet Enema. The target range for phosphate is .5-1 ppm or approx. 1/10th nitrate levels.

Potassium can be added via potassium sulfate (K2SO4) or potassium chloride(No-Salt). The target range for pottasium is 20 ppm. Pottasiumm is difficult to test for and is not toxic to fish even at much higher dosages, so it is generally dosed at water change time to a sufficient level to bring the water change volume to that level.

Micro nutrients can be added via a trace mix supplement such as Plantex CSM or Flourish or one of the other Aquatic plant supplements. Some of the original info regarding micros is very vague and most people dose micros increasingly till dosing more produces no significant improvement. It can take weeks or months to determine what that level is for your tank. Patience is the name of the game there
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 03:00 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
the level of nutrients depends on your lights.
If your lights are high, you have to supply CO2 and I'd shoot for 20ppm of NO3 and 4ppm of P.

If low lights, go for what you showed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode