Fish dying after dosing ferts - Help
I recently started dry dosing fertilizers into my 55 gallon. It is not heavily planted, but i got a 130 watt light installed and had a serious case of beard algae. Maybe it was some other type of algae but beard was closest. Since i started dosing much of the algae has gone away, and my plants are growing nicely.
I had about 32 fish in the tank, various tetras, loaches, a pleco, gouramis, some siamese eaters, gold barbs, maybe a few others. Almost everytime after i dosed, within 24-36 hours i noticed 1 or 2 fish dead. I think i've lost about 5-6 tetras (neons and rummy nose), 2 siamese eaters, 1 panda corycat. Behavior of fish seems fine, eating well and active. When they die it is very fast. I never notice them struggling. Before i started dosing i hadn't had a fish die for 6 months. I also have a separate cichlid tank where everyone is fine, so i doubt its the water. My water changes are about 40% every 10 days (not as much as i would like, but as much as i've had time for recently).
Is it because i am dry dosing? Am i dosing too much? I have no CO2 on the tank, and my PH v. KH implies i don't have enough CO2, but i thought that would be okay. I just wanted light plant growth. Anyway, my tank vitals and dosing regimen are below:
Ammonia and Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-15 ppm
Dosing Reg (twice a week):
1/8 teaspoon KNO3
1/16 teaspoon KH2PO4
1/16 teaspoon K2SO4
Also a little KENT freshwater plant supplement
I was trying to use small amounts at first to see what the effect would be, and it has been very good. I want to continue dosing this amount, but not with my fish dying as they are. I need some advice from the experts.
Thanks for your help,