Did anyone try to prepare own liquid fertilizer? - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
ufimych's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buchanan, Virginia, USA
Posts: 296
Did anyone try to prepare own liquid fertilizer?

Did anyone of you try to make own fertilizer by using manure, black soil or ashes of thoroughly burned plants?
ufimych is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (538/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,008
I really dont think this would be a good idea, there would likely be a lot of organics in this mixture which would cause you issues in the aquarium. Also figuring out the correct concentrations would be very difficult. Might be ok for emersed plants?

Why not just get dry fertilizers, $20-30 worth will last you well over a year on normal sized tanks. We can also help you mix them into a liquid fertilizer if that is what you wanted to do.
nilocg is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
happi's Avatar
 
PTrader: (21/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,139
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
I really dont think this would be a good idea, there would likely be a lot of organics in this mixture which would cause you issues in the aquarium. Also figuring out the correct concentrations would be very difficult. Might be ok for emersed plants?

Why not just get dry fertilizers, $20-30 worth will last you well over a year on normal sized tanks. We can also help you mix them into a liquid fertilizer if that is what you wanted to do.

I agree with Colin

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
happi is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
ufimych's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buchanan, Virginia, USA
Posts: 296
If dirt under the gravel does not hurt, why carefully prepared liquid would cause the damage? We can experiment, starting with ashes, which is rich with essential minerals, calcium and potassium are plentiful in it. I already tried it carefully. So far, everything is fine in the tank. Of course, calcium and potassium are still not all what is needed. Thank you for the replies.
ufimych is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
happi's Avatar
 
PTrader: (21/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 3,139
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufimych View Post
If dirt under the gravel does not hurt, why carefully prepared liquid would cause the damage? We can experiment, starting with ashes, which is rich with essential minerals, calcium and potassium are plentiful in it. I already tried it carefully. So far, everything is fine in the tank. Of course, calcium and potassium are still not all what is needed. Thank you for the replies.
the real question is how fast will it release all those into the water?

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
happi is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Zorfox's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufimych View Post
Did anyone of you try to make own fertilizer by using manure, black soil or ashes of thoroughly burned plants?
Many people have. It's called substrate.

If you mix the ingredients in water most will settle to the bottom. That sediment does have nutrients but it will release slowly over time. The manure will contain huge amounts of ammonium which, in most cases, will cause algae and stress the inhabitants.
Zorfox is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 09:51 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
thedood's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,653
Wasnt there a dog poop thread? The OP has removed his posts so I am not sure what the deal was.
thedood is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
ufimych's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buchanan, Virginia, USA
Posts: 296
I am trying to keep all low tech and green. If the tank is supposed to be a self sustainable microcosm as much as possible, why not to work on this project? This is something like with dog food. You can by kibble or you can feed your dog with raw meat products. The latter is messy and takes some extra work, but it is better to the dog. Buying bottles and tablets monthly just to keep a handful of plants live and growing in tank? Plants in my pond are exploding with new growth every spring and the water remains clear. Gold fish (comets only) are breeding well and are very happy. My be exactly my pond can become exactly what I want? I add some chicken and goat poop in the pond every summer. By the way, dog poop may be also considered, but I did not try it yet.
ufimych is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 11:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
klibs's Avatar
 
PTrader: (29/100%)
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 3,325
go ahead and try it and see what happens


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
klibs is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
SingAlongWithTsing's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SoCal - IE
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufimych View Post
I am trying to keep all low tech and green. If the tank is supposed to be a self sustainable microcosm as much as possible, why not to work on this project? This is something like with dog food. You can by kibble or you can feed your dog with raw meat products. The latter is messy and takes some extra work, but it is better to the dog. Buying bottles and tablets monthly just to keep a handful of plants live and growing in tank? Plants in my pond are exploding with new growth every spring and the water remains clear. Gold fish (comets only) are breeding well and are very happy. My be exactly my pond can become exactly what I want? I add some chicken and goat poop in the pond every summer. By the way, dog poop may be also considered, but I did not try it yet.
xenxe used dog poop in his substrate https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...lting-pot.html

there was user named dogfish who did something similar i think


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SingAlongWithTsing is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
ufimych's Avatar
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buchanan, Virginia, USA
Posts: 296
I thank everyone for the answers. Now, I will try to navigate in uncharted waters. First, I will better care of the pond. Second, I will use a large container to make different concoctions of organic materials. If something good will come out, I will let you know.
ufimych is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome