barr report dosing question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
barr report dosing question

Question: Tom Barr doesn't show k2so4 in his E.I. dosing (see pic). Is dosing kno3 and kh2po4 plus micros enough???

I just setup a new tank (planting this weekend ). High light, pressurized co2, e.i., mineralized topsoil. This is my first mineralized ts tank and I'm unsure how soon I should start e.i.?

I have the following dry ferts on hand. Kh2po4, kno3, k2so4, plantex csm + b

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-12-10-20-08-24_1449805790405.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	557337  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish food supplies a certain amount of nutrition for a low tech tank. A low tech tank is often heavily stocked, too, so there is a lot of fish food.
If your NO3 from fish food is already reasonably high you may not want to dose very much KNO3. Also, fish food does not have much potassium. So adding K2SO4 as a source of potassium is a good idea, even in tanks that need very little other additional fertilizer.

A high tech tank needs more of all the nutrients. Most of the time a high tech tank has fewer fish, so less fish food. Because of both of these, a high tech tank usually needs a lot more added nitrogen. This is the basis for Tom Barr's Estimative Index.
You will dose enough KNO3 to supply the potassium needs of the plants in a high tech tank. Even at high tech levels, KH2PO4 is not dosed at enough to really count as much of a dose of potassium.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 04:24 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
"High-tech" is a vague term, though usually it refers to the addition of pressurized CO2 and ferts. You can have a low-light, high-tech tank, but that probably won't dramatically increase the nutrient demand of your plants over a low-light, low-tech setup.

Between your tap water, KNO3, and KH2PO4, you may have enough potassium, regardless of "tech" level. But it's unlikely that KSO4 will hurt in any case, so even in low-light, low-tech, you *can* add it, whether or not it's necessary. So long as you do regular water changes according to EI method, that is.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 07:40 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
The original GH booster that Tom Barr used contained sulfates of potassium, magnesium and calcium.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 12:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
The original GH booster that Tom Barr used contained sulfates of potassium, magnesium and calcium.
Most GH boosters, Equilibrium being the one I'm familiar with, usually contain a good amount of potassium.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode