Bad water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bad water

My water straight from the house has a 7.8 ph maybe higher. :-( So I was looking into a reverse osmosis system. I have a 120 gallon tank though. What are your thoughts on them? And any personal favorites?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't be too concerned about the pH of your tap water. What is important is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness), and TDS (total dissolved solids) of the water.

My tap water is extremely hard. I bought the http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0ZGOZM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 for $200. It has worked well, but takes a long time to produce enough water for a significant water change in a 30g aquarium. The reserve tank holds about 2.5 gal. When it is empty flow pretty much stops. It takes 2.5-3 hrs. to refill. Otherwise it has been a good system.

I add Seachem Equilibrium to raise GH to about 5 dKH, and potassium bicarbonate to raise KH to about the same level. TDS comes out to just under 200, IIRC.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
So does mine and my tank kicks ass. pH does not really matter do not buy into that myth. Some plants may struggle more than others but it is certainly not a deal breaker (IMO this is the case for all tanks no matter what). People have grown all plants in all kinds of conditions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Will getting a reverse osmosis system help with the melting/browning of plants?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 10:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

My pH is 7.8, i keep south american species fine

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 12:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian727 View Post
Will getting a reverse osmosis system help with the melting/browning of plants?
Some plants, such as Crypts, will melt when exposed to sudden changes in water chemistry, temp, light, nutrients, etc. They usually grow back more adapted to the new conditions.

If you are using chemicals to try and manage pH it is likely that your actions are causing the melts.

Some plants are gown emersed (out of water) and will melt when submerged. They usually grow back with foliage adapted to immersion. So, if you ordered plants online from some place like LiveAquaria.com there is a good change they were grown emersed.

There could be other reasons for plants to melt. RO might help with some of them. Without knowing what caused your plants to melt it is difficult to say whether you need an RO system.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Please post all the water parameters, and list what livestock you want to keep.
Most plants are tolerant of a wide range of conditions.
I generally set up the water chemistry to suit the fish, then grow pretty much any plant in almost any tank.

GH, KH, pH, TDS, and any other tests you have.
Test the pH this way:
1) Run some water into a glass and test it.
2) Set a glass of water aside, exposed to the air for 24-48 hours and test the pH again.

The water quality report from your water company might help, too. Some are quite detailed in all the information they offer.
Some are not very helpful.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I generally set up the water chemistry to suit the fish, then grow pretty much any plant in almost any tank.
+1

That's something many here seem to forget. Plants are VERY tolerant of water chemistry. Sure 1-2% may struggle but the rest...well, it's not a big deal. Do the same with your high dollar shrimp or fish? Not so much.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode