High PH from "sheading" silicone? Is this bad!?!?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
High PH from "sheading" silicone? Is this bad!?!??

Hello all,

I resealed my tank over a week ago, let it dry over 48hrs and it has been filled with water for over a week now. I used GE 100% silicone. It was hard to the touch before I filled it. It's still hard to the touch but if you rub it, it shedds! is this normal? I am freaking out!

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
When you say it sheads do you mean little bits of it? Is it like little flakes or do big chunks of it come off?

But at my LFS they said...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

It's flakes. Like dead skin or even like fish flakes.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...aking-out.html

Here is my other post w/pic. I was freaking and didn't know where to ask.

Clint

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Read the other post and saw the pic. My guess is you used a nice thick bead.?.? This flaking is not unusual. For a thicker seam it's best to wait about a week before sealing but I'm thinking you'll be ok. Please let us know how it goes.

But at my LFS they said...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, I used a good amount. I made it look good though,. I will keep you posted! Thanks again!

Clint

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well..... I have an update..... Looks like I might have to reseal. Last night I rubbed down part of a seam with my finger and got it squeeky clean. I just got home from work and its "slimy" again. Almost like the water is melting it. I just rubbed the Slim/skin/flaky stuff off of a whole seam so the whole thing is clean. I guess I will see how it is in the morning but my nerves might get the better of me. I might get the actual aquarium silicone this time. I don't want to have to do it a 3rd time...If I do it now, at least I can move my plants back to the 29g in the meantime, before they get to big and established. This is a bummer...

Clint

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Has anyone seen silicone "melt" before? I guess it means I just got the wrong stuff? I did get 100% silicone with NO anti molding agent or anything else. One LFS told me that this only happens when you don't get the aquarium sealant. Another said,"If its not leaking, you should be Okay" haha

Clint

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Some random thoughts here..... Is CO2 acidic enough to "melt" silicone in a newly sealed tank?

Clint

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I look at it this way now. I can start over and start a journal. Starting with RESEALING the tank, setting it up the way I want it now, and getting feed back and input along the way! I am going to head to a stream dow the street from my house with the wife on Thanksgiving morning, before seeing the fam and picking out some nice stones/rocks to really make the tank look good. This time I'm not jumping the gun and just "throwing" plants anywhere in the tank. I will start the journal tomorrow! This works in my favor also since I will be able to see the progress of the tank, along with everyone else here. It will ge great to get feed back along the way!

Clint

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Silicone flakes should have no effect at all on pH, and acidic water, unless it is very acidic, like swimming pool acid, should not affect silicone. I don't think silicone can be expected to cure properly if it is under water, but I could be wrong about that. If I'm right, your silicone just didn't cure.

Hoppy
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
I would agree with hoppy. Give it more time next go 'round.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for replying, Hoppy. I know that it's not structurely sound right away. In the past, all I have waited was 48hrs and was always fine. That's why I am going to wait 72hrs this time.

Clint

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hoppy/Eye,

Do you guys think I should wait longer then 72hrs? I waited 48hrs this past time. From what I have done in the past(years ago when I was a kid working at a LFS sealing 10g tanks) I have only had to wait 48hrs. I know there is a big dif of opinion on this topic... I figured that I would "re-seal" it Friday and fill it Monday. This way I get a full 72hrs. I'm not looking for structure since iys not a rimless tank. I am going to go with an aquarium grade this time and not the GE Silicone II, even though I do know that this stuff works. Maybe it was the humidity in my house... Who knows....

Thanks guys!

Clint

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Yes! What's the big hurry? The GE will work okay, there are stronger grades out there and several good threads on that subject on this forum. Whatever you do take your time with the project and let it dry this time, perhaps a week.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode