New Tank, Need Help With Fixing Deficiencies! *pics* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation New Tank, Need Help With Fixing Deficiencies! *pics*

Hi guys, I'm new here but have been reading for months. I just got into planted tanks and purchased mine 9 days ago. I have no fish and am still cycling. I'm running into some problems and could really use some help from some experts around here. Here is my set up.

Tank: 25 gallon
Light: Coralife fixture 1 65w 10,000k daylight fluorescent 10-12hrs/day
Filter: Aquatop CF-500 canister
Substrate: 50/50 fluorite black and fluorite black sand
CO2: DIY 2 2 liter bottles (hooked up 3 days ago)

Plants: CARDAMINE LYRATA, ROTALA ROTUNDIFOLIA, HYDROCOTYLE VERTICILLATA, LUDWIGIA GLANDULOSA, LILAEOPSIS BRASILIENSIS, HYGROPHILA CORYMBOSA 'SIAMENSIS', LAGENANDRA MEEBOLDII RED

pH: 7
KH: 6dkh
Ammonia: constant 0.25ppm (Haven't cycled far enough for nitrites and nitrates yet)
Temp: 23C/73F
Ferts since day 1: Flourish tabs, Flourish Excel (no longer using since I added co2 3 days ago)
Ferts since I saw deficiency around day 5: Flourish, Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphate

My problems are that the Meeboldii has brown on the leaves, the Hygro also has some brown and some of the tips are curling, the Hydrocoytle has some brown and some leaves turn yellow then become transparent. Before I added the NPK the Cardamine and Rotala also had yellow-transparent leaves but they have gotten healthier.

Looking at charts on deficiency my best guess was that I was lacking in N and K. I also thought Iron but some charts say that old leaves stay green while new growth is yellow while other charts say everything turns yellow so I was unsure. After taking the pic of the hygro without flash I am starting to think I should have picked up a bottle of Iron. I can't seem to find out info on brown leaves though.

Any help would greatly be appreciated! Thanks for reading.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6786_3000x2250.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	556169  

Name:	DSCN6788_3000x2250.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	556185  

Name:	DSCN6789_3000x2250.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	556193  

Name:	DSCN6792_3000x2665.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	556201  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm by far no expert but that just looks like brown algae which is normal in a new tank
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

I thought that might be a possibility but thought the aquarium was too new for diatoms. I should have checked but I guess I didn't want to get my arm wet haha I did and you were right. thanks!

So now my main concern is plants, especially the hydrocotyle, yellowing and then turning transparent. The rotala still has a bit of transparent leaves but that could still be from the previous damage when I didn't have macros. The hydrocotyle still seems to be having this problem though. Could it just be not enough light for them? Would love to hear from as many posters as possible about what they think and if I'm on the right path here since I'm brand new to plants.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Diatoms, for sure. They will show up sometimes very early depending on your water chemistry. It's not a big deal. That algae scrubs off by hand easily, and octo cats and bristlenose pleco's eat the stuff very well.

As for your ferts:

Might want to add flourish comprehensive and dose at 1/2 the recommended concentration. Also, I think all your plants are simply getting used to their new home. Some of them were grown above water and need to shed old growth in order to grow healthy new stuff.

Give it some time.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also you should know that most plants will suffer some setbacks from being transplanted. continue with the dosing you are doing and see what the new growth looks like.

Also, the 10,000 K flourescent is OK but when it is time for a new bulb get a 6500 K bulb. It has more of the spectrum plants need.

Give it some time. Many of the stem plants will melt when first transplanted and you will need to replant the healthy tops. Those will grow in to mature healthy plants.

When you run low on fertilizer buy some dry ferts. A years supply will cost less than what you paid for a month or 2 of the Flourish line. You are buying mostly water.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.

Yeah I wanted to get 6500k but I got a great deal on a Coralife Dual Aqualight for $50 CDN. The guy had the 10,000k and an actinic in it. Definitely plan on going the dry fert route but since I'm brand new to plants I've had a lot of researching to do so I thought I'd just grab the Seachem stuff because of convenience.

Should I trim leaves that go transparent?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2015, 01:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP_92 View Post
Should I trim leaves that go transparent?
If you are sure the leaf will die, trim it.

Looks like diatoms to me too.
Diatom algae will run it's course and end soon enough.

Consider shortening your photo-period of 10-12 hours per day.
We wouldn't want an algae farm to start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode