How do you treat your tap water - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just thought I'd revive an old thread as I haven't got a 100% answer

I am in the process of getting an 800 liter tank and will obviously be doing water changes

My plan is to syphon a hose from the tank to the drain/kitchen sink to do the water changes

My plan is to run a hose from my kitchen tap to the tank then to refill, using the mixer to put in roughly the correct temperature water (so not just cold tap water).

In previous tanks with fish, I have never de-chlorinated water and never had any issues, however id like to do it properly this time

Im in the UK so the chlorine level isnt as high as the states

I was wondering is it possible for me to do for example a 20% water change so around 160 litres or whichever someone would recommend at x intervals. Would it be possible to refill with tap water and then add something to the tank to de-chlorinate the water in the tank with the fish in there?

I know this is probably not ideal but I cannot be leaving buckets out etc or tubs full of water to treat the day before as I simply do not have the space

Would anyone recommend a product that I could add that would help with this?

Many thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt769 View Post
Just thought I'd revive an old thread as I haven't got a 100% answer

I am in the process of getting an 800 liter tank and will obviously be doing water changes

My plan is to syphon a hose from the tank to the drain/kitchen sink to do the water changes

My plan is to run a hose from my kitchen tap to the tank then to refill, using the mixer to put in roughly the correct temperature water (so not just cold tap water).

In previous tanks with fish, I have never de-chlorinated water and never had any issues, however id like to do it properly this time

Im in the UK so the chlorine level isnt as high as the states

I was wondering is it possible for me to do for example a 20% water change so around 160 litres or whichever someone would recommend at x intervals. Would it be possible to refill with tap water and then add something to the tank to de-chlorinate the water in the tank with the fish in there?

I know this is probably not ideal but I cannot be leaving buckets out etc or tubs full of water to treat the day before as I simply do not have the space

Would anyone recommend a product that I could add that would help with this?

Many thanks in advance
I use a product called a python water change system which does basically just what you're planning on doing.
I siphon out the tank and then flip it to fill using only cold water as here in Florida it's around 65-70 degrees year around typically and I add the dechlorinator in as it's filling up the tank.
In 15 years of doing things this way I've never had anything bad happen by doing things this way such as fish dying from the chlorine or the fish not being able to handle the change in temp or a mini cycle happening from the chlorine killing the BB.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 06:15 PM
Banned

I keep it pretty simple. I draw water from my bathtub at a temperature that feels "comfortable" (which I've learned by experience is about the same as the tank temperature) and add sufficient of a stock solution of potassium metabisulfite to neutralize the 1 ppm chlorine my utility reports adding. The only fancy part is making the stock solution, and it's not really that big a deal.

Put it in the tank. Add fertilizers as indicated by regular testing.

I may start doing something more complicated, since my water is a bit on the alkaline side with KH of 5-6. I may try neutralizing a couple of degrees of carbonate hardness with hydrochloric acid. That will wait until I've sorted out the effects of my latest changes in routine.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 06:32 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt769 View Post
If I am adding chlorinated water straight to the tank without treating it first (which is what you would be doing), then I just dump the dechlorinator into the tank just before (or at the beginning of when) I start adding the tap water. Measure the amount of dechlorinator to use based on your entire tank size though, not just the percent changed (so dose based on 800 litres, not 160). This isn't a problem at all!

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:01 PM
Algae Grower

I run my tap water thru a 4 stage Filter (no RO) into a 55 gallon barrel, that has a exchange pump and hose, the pump runs continuously until the water warms to room temp (its right next to my hot water heater) the water runs thru a filter sock at the top of the barrel to keep hose mulm from getting in the barrel. I usually don use the water for a day or 2 so any chems dissapate, if I have to use it faster I just use a little prime, rare but just in case wish I knew how to add pics..
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
For those who refill directly from the tap, what equipment do you use that fits to your sink or tub faucet? One of those coiled hoses with a nozzle on the end? Currently I treat as I fill a 5 gallon bucket, but that gets very tedious very fast for a 55 gallon tank, and I'm about to set up a 75 gallon tank as well. I know a lot of people use a big brute garbage can on a wheeled dolly to prepare their WC water. But living in the desert, I drain my water into a garbage can to water plants, and don't want to buy two sets of cans & dollies. It's over $60 for one can & dolley--if anyone has cheaper sources please let me know.

Thanks all
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 01:25 PM
Planted Member

Desert Pupfish -- I would use a hose (like a python) that connects directly from the sink faucet, to the tank if I had a 55! use a water conditioner like Prime that is super concentrated and you won't feel that you are going through as much dechlorinator. Remove whatever amount you plan to (you can use the python for that too -- it will drain right into the sink or wherever!), then dump in your dechlorinator & then fill the tank back up.

It's not a mystery...snails are the BEST!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 03:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
For those who refill directly from the tap, what equipment do you use that fits to your sink or tub faucet? One of those coiled hoses with a nozzle on the end? Currently I treat as I fill a 5 gallon bucket, but that gets very tedious very fast for a 55 gallon tank, and I'm about to set up a 75 gallon tank as well. I know a lot of people use a big brute garbage can on a wheeled dolly to prepare their WC water. But living in the desert, I drain my water into a garbage can to water plants, and don't want to buy two sets of cans & dollies. It's over $60 for one can & dolley--if anyone has cheaper sources please let me know.

Thanks all
Get a $5 food grade 55 gallon drum from Craigslist and a $10 furniture dolly from Harbor Freight. It's a sturdier barrel too.
Desert Pupfish likes this.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 03:51 PM
Algae Grower

Brilliant!

My plan is to buy a sink tap faucet adapter from ebay to a hose connection, then simply run the hose through the house, from the sink to the tank

For emptying the tank, I have made myself out of a cut thick plastic bottle a syphon/gravel cleaner. The same hose connects to the bottle top and then by filling it like a cup it starts the syphon and draws water through

My plan will be to go ahead as you have suggested and dose as/whilst i am doing the water change

As I said, ive never had any issues with fish in the past, even doing 100% water changes with tap water, but now the tank is nearly 800 litres vs 60 litres haha

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamonamon View Post
If I am adding chlorinated water straight to the tank without treating it first (which is what you would be doing), then I just dump the dechlorinator into the tank just before (or at the beginning of when) I start adding the tap water. Measure the amount of dechlorinator to use based on your entire tank size though, not just the percent changed (so dose based on 800 litres, not 160). This isn't a problem at all!
If i dose it to decholrinate for the full capacity of the tank vs the water change amount, is there a possibility of adding too much decholirnator or is there no side effects of accidentally putting too much in?

Cheers

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode