Adjustments needed or wait it out more? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Positron
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
milbran220's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 93
Adjustments needed or wait it out more?

My tank has been running for 6 weeks now. I'm pretty happy with how things are going so far, have a little bit of algae happening and I'm wondering if it's just how young the tank is or if I am doing something wrong.

PH 6.0
Ammonia 0.00

55 gallon, Fluval 306 for filtration
ADA Aquasoil
Pressurized CO2 setup from GreenLeafAquariums, drop checker green
BUILDMYLED Freshwater Planted 10,000K light

Plants:

Eleocharis Acicularis: is looking great and spreading, nice bright green (far right)
Proserpinaca palustris: exploding with growth, have noticed some brown bits, seems to be in the middle (not the top, and not the bottom) of the plant. This plant looks amazing when it's pearling! It isn't red at all though, and I think it is supposed to be. Maybe because it is still young? Or am I missing a nutrient for it?
Staurogyne repens: (in the middle with the rocks) Growing slowly, most of the leaves definitely have some brown spots of algae on them :/ Otherwise healthy looking
Utricularia graminifolia: (front left) this plant is looking the worst. I has that brown tinge all over it, was such a bitch to plant (tons of stems everywhere in my tank) and doesn't really seem to be rooting into my ADA aquasoil very well... so far it looks like balls of brown/green hair that are about to float away. Hasn't spread at all.

On my glass I had some green and brown algae. I limited the light time to only 5 hrs per day (thinking of increasing it bit by bit now) but this tank does get some light from a window.

Not knowing anything about fertilizing, I purchased the fert kit from GreenLeafAquariums and have been following that regime for a couple of weeks. I think this is called EI dosing? I do about 5ml each day, and I try to do it right before the lights come on.

I have "fossilized" wood for my hardscape. This has some brown hair algae on it... doesn't seem to be increasing.

Inhabitants are 2 female GBR and 31 glow light tetras. I am hoping to add some ottos and cardinal tetras soon.

Any advice would be appreciated!



Bump: More pictures... hopefully they show the issues I'm having. In order stated above.





~Lindsay
Milwaukee, WI
milbran220 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 521
Just hit the 6 week mark? Eh? This is prime time for diatomic (brown) algae growth. The brown algae usually quickly goes away as the silica in the tank is reduced.

An easy way of quickly getting rid of it is Octocinclus catfish. They totally devour the stuff.

Edit: as a side note since you've already visted GLA I hope you are dosing some additional potassium. Aquasoil does a good job for nitrogen and phosphorus initially, but is lacking in K.

Also make sure you are dosing a bit of trace ferts. At this stage 1/4 or 1/8 dose of the listed amount should do.
Positron is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
milbran220's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positron View Post
Just hit the 6 week mark? Eh? This is prime time for diatomic (brown) algae growth. The brown algae usually quickly goes away as the silica in the tank is reduced.

An easy way of quickly getting rid of it is Octocinclus catfish. They totally devour the stuff.

Edit: as a side note since you've already visted GLA I hope you are dosing some additional potassium. Aquasoil does a good job for nitrogen and phosphorus initially, but is lacking in K.

Also make sure you are dosing a bit of trace ferts. At this stage 1/4 or 1/8 dose of the listed amount should do.
Thank you so much for this reply! I am actually getting a dozen Ottos on Wednesday from msjinkz ... I hope they enjoy the buffet!

So I am using the GLA kit of micro and macro nutrients:
Our PPS-Pro Fert Package includes two 500mL dispensers and the following micros & micros, each in 1lb portions:
  • Plantex CSM + B - 1 lb
  • Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) - 1 lb
  • Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) - 1 lb
  • Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4) - 1 lb
  • Magnesium Sulfate (MgSO4) - 1 lb
Is this good for now? I don't need to supplement with anything else do I?

~Lindsay
Milwaukee, WI
milbran220 is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by milbran220 View Post
Thank you so much for this reply! I am actually getting a dozen Ottos on Wednesday from msjinkz ... I hope they enjoy the buffet!

So I am using the GLA kit of micro and macro nutrients:
Our PPS-Pro Fert Package includes two 500mL dispensers and the following micros & micros, each in 1lb portions:
  • Plantex CSM + B - 1 lb
  • Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) - 1 lb
  • Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) - 1 lb
  • Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4) - 1 lb
  • Magnesium Sulfate (MgSO4) - 1 lb
Is this good for now? I don't need to supplement with anything else do I?
Nope, it looks fine, but in all honesty i'd dose 1/4 of everything right now. Your plants really arn't growing enough to consume it, and it's not helping your algae problem.

Also, doing a few 50-75% water changes this week would be helpful. I know with PPS it's not as required to do water changes, but with Aquasoil it's a good idea, especially within the first few months.

Doing water changes will reduce the amount of stuff in your water that your plants arn't currently using.
burr740 and burr740 like this.
Positron is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
milbran220's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positron View Post
Nope, it looks fine, but in all honesty i'd dose 1/4 of everything right now. Your plants really arn't growing enough to consume it, and it's not helping your algae problem.

Also, doing a few 50-75% water changes this week would be helpful. I know with PPS it's not as required to do water changes, but with Aquasoil it's a good idea, especially within the first few months.

Doing water changes will reduce the amount of stuff in your water that your plants arn't currently using.
Thanks! Will do!

~Lindsay
Milwaukee, WI
milbran220 is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
milbran220's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positron View Post

An easy way of quickly getting rid of it is Octocinclus catfish. They totally devour the stuff.
You were not kidding. Got 12 Otos yesterday and they have already made a big dent! I might have to feed them alternatively sooner than I thought!

~Lindsay
Milwaukee, WI
milbran220 is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 08:17 PM
Planted Tanker
 
burr740's Avatar
 
PTrader: (123/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bama
Posts: 5,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by milbran220 View Post
Proserpinaca palustris: exploding with growth, have noticed some brown bits, seems to be in the middle (not the top, and not the bottom) of the plant. This plant looks amazing when it's pearling! It isn't red at all though, and I think it is supposed to be. Maybe because it is still young? Or am I missing a nutrient for it?

This is one of my favorite plants. When it's happy, it typically stays in the yellow to orange range. It's not really a red plant.

Light plays a big role in it's appearance. The brighter the light, the more spikey it's leaves become. I've also found that it takes a good bit of red in the spectrum to make it turn from yellow to the deeper orange shades. Not sure how much red those dutch BMLs have.

This is as 'red" as Ive ever gotten mine. It happened under short term but drastic nitrate limitation, in other words a stress response.




Normally it looks something like this -




It is also a great indicator plant for overall tank conditions. It can change color and leaf shape virtually overnight, will quickly let you know if it's not happy.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




burr740 is online now  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome