Setting up Co2 need Fert advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Setting up Co2 need Fert advice

Hi all-
I am in the process of adding co2 to my 55 gal planted tank. Currently I have sand substrate but will be adding eco complete. I know that eco complete does not have fert but will "hold some in"? anyway Right now I have the Current Satellite plus which from my research is 28par at 18" so medium light. I have purchased a dual stage regulator from co2 art and am planning on starting with 1 bpm. My plan for this tank is just to boost growth with co2 and fert and have a happy lush tank - Im not trying to carpet anything at this time really just want to set it up grow healthy plants and learn enough to upgrade myself in about a year try to do some cool [censored][censored][censored][censored].... anyway if I've learned anything from keeping aquariums for awhile is that patience pays off so I'm not trying to use ferts like steroids for rapid growth and get my tank out of balance... Ive researched the EI method but don't really think its for me at this time- I would prefer to dose ferts without having to be dependent on a 50% weekly wc.. I have salt tanks and do weekly maintenance to all my tanks but id like to find a nice balance with 2x month water changes in this tank - Currently running a canister filter and all my params are in check doing 50% every 3 weeks so changing it up to 2 would be no problem - I think i would like to try dry ferts currently i am using flourish but didn't know with the addition of co2 if i would need additional dosing?? Any suggestions??
Right now I only have java fern some swords an anubia and some dwarf sag and a few crypt wendti - I would like to add some background plants maybe jungle val?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hello and welcome to the forum:-) I think 28 PAR would put you in the low-light zone. (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...ead-watts.html)

Most of the plants you listed are low-light as well. Always a good idea to put as much plant-mass as you can right out of the gate to avoid algae issues. I'm no expert, but i think you could get by dosing 1/2 the recommended EI dosage in this setup with a WC every 2 weeks. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the advice! Yeah i guess it is low light I'll try starting out with 1/2 and see where is goes... Do you have any recommendations on test kits I only have the basics also I was planning on seeing how these guys grow before adding more plants... u think I should go ahead and bulk it out?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 04:40 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Invest in a drop checker...bpm reading does not tell you how much CO2 is in the water. With CO2 and the Satellite Plus light you could start to deplete the nitrogen and potassium in about 2 weeks if you don't dose with macros.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode