Macro solution with KHCO3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Macro solution with KHCO3

Hello, I'm going to make a macro solution with KHCO3 as a main K source. I'm doing this for various reasons. My water is extremely soft, and ADA aquasoil sucks up all the bicarb.

My question is will these salts be okay together in aqueous form in 1000mL of water? Each dose is 30mL

KHCO3 (enough to add 3.2 ppm K and 0.23 KH per dose. 72g in 1000mL of water)
KH2PO4 (small amount, 0.2 ppm per dose)
KNO3 (enough to add 1 ppm per dose)
Urea (CH4N2O) (enough to add 0.5 ppm per dose)

I'm pretty sure KH2PO4 and KNO3 are fine with KHCO3. My main concern is the Urea forming NH3 and combining with the bicarbonate in some way. I looked up a possible reaction and found that these two things could make ammonia bicarbonate or ammonia carbonate. Both are which are very soluble in water. Almost as much as the KHCO3.

Any chemists around here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 01:58 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Is there any particular reason you are adding urea instead of relying on the potassium nitrate to provide the necessary nitrogen?

Urea will indeed break down into ammonia, and may or may not become toxic, depending on your pH.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 04:32 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Is there any particular reason you are adding urea instead of relying on the potassium nitrate to provide the necessary nitrogen?

Urea will indeed break down into ammonia, and may or may not become toxic, depending on your pH.
Ditto on the urea. Its completely unneccessary IMHO. Other than that the chemicals you list are compatible with each other (yes, I am a chemist).

I currently use potassium carbonate as a K supplemental source. The thing to keep in mind is that carbonate will buildup in water rapidly raising the KH. Monitor pH and KH on a regular basis until you figure out a steady schedule.

I use anhydrous citrate as a acidic pH buffer to counteract the carbonate excess when needed. Citrate will react with excess carbonate to drop the KH and release CO2. Citrate is also an excellent carbon source for beneficial bacteria in the tank and does not accumulate.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode