Prime dosage for Chlorimines vs chlorine? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Prime dosage for Chlorimines vs chlorine?

How much more prime are you suppose to use when dealing with Chlorimines vs Chlorine?

I know with the API stuff, there are 2 different measurement depending on which chemical is in your water supply.

1ML for 20 gallons chlorine or 5 ML for 30 gallons with Chlorimines.( I have the concentrated stuff) I know that Chlorimines is a much stronger chemical to neutralize then chlorine. It will last many weeks on its own vs chlorine which may last a few days.

Are you suppose to like double the amount for Chlorimines or what is the general rule?

Thanks .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 02:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

I'm pretty sure that the normal dose is powerful enough to detoxify chlorine and chloramines. I haven't heard people have issues with the normal dose

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
I'm pretty sure that the normal dose is powerful enough to detoxify chlorine and chloramines. I haven't heard people have issues with the normal dose
Hope you are right. I used 1.5 times the amount to be on the safe side. The bonds are strong with chloramines. The fish are all still alive however chloramines does not instantly kill fish but slowly kills them. So hopefully the prime did its job. I might call them up and ask them about chloramines.

Thanks.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 02:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by miogpsrocks View Post
Hope you are right. I used 1.5 times the amount to be on the safe side. The bonds are strong with chloramines. The fish are all still alive however chloramines does not instantly kill fish but slowly kills them. So hopefully the prime did its job. I might call them up and ask them about chloramines.

Thanks.
If you really want to be sure just use Safe, 1 gram treats THREE HUNDRED gallons. Way more cost-effective than prime.

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
The answer to your question concerning dosage is given on the bottle.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
The answer to your question concerning dosage is given on the bottle.
It said 1 cap for 50 gallons however it does not say how much to use for chloramines which have stronger chemical bonds and require more product to break up these bonds.

Where as the API bottle said add 5ML to remove chloramines in 30 gallons and only use 1 ML to remove chlorine for 20 gallons.

So 1 ML can treat 20 gallons if Chlorine but only 6 gallons if Chloramines. You need over 3X times the amount for Chloramines vs chlorine.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 04:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. This removes approximately 1 mg/L ammonia, 4 mg/L chloramine, or 5 mg/L chlorine.
Quote:
For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 04:26 AM
Algae Grower

I would guess the instructions just state the dosage which will treat both.
I use Aqueon Water Conditioner and it says it neutralizes both chlorine & chloramines. Yet it does not have different dosage instructions for on or the other.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrohn View Post
I am not a civil engineer nor do I work at a water treatment plant but when they replace chlorine with Chloramines, do they replace every 5 mg/l chlorine with 4mg/L Chloramines??

I don't know, do you?

If they replace it with equal parts then the recommend dosage(5mg/l with 5mg/l) then it will not be enough to remove all the toxic Chloramines. .

So I am reading anywhere from it will be enough to the fact that I need to double the dosage. That is a pretty big margin of uncertainty.

Thanks.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 05:21 AM
Algae Grower

I would think that if a product like Prime is developed they look into the common levels of chlorine/chloramines and then design it so it fits the needs.
Water is very strict regulated in the US (and most countries) so those levels should be well defined and very consistent.

If you are uncertain you can call your local water treatment facility and ask them about the levels.

I just googled a bit and found those two links that say 4.0 mg/L of Chloramine are the maximum levels allowed in the US:
Chloramine | Region 9: Water | US EPA
https://www.wqa.org/Portals/0/Techni...Chloramine.pdf

So it seems that Prime matches the maximum allowed level for tap water.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrabs View Post
I would think that if a product like Prime is developed they look into the common levels of chlorine/chloramines and then design it so it fits the needs.
Water is very strict regulated in the US (and most countries) so those levels should be well defined and very consistent.

If you are uncertain you can call your local water treatment facility and ask them about the levels.

I just googled a bit and found those two links that say 4.0 mg/L of Chloramine are the maximum levels allowed in the US:
Chloramine | Region 9: Water | US EPA
https://www.wqa.org/Portals/0/Techni...Chloramine.pdf

So it seems that Prime matches the maximum allowed level for tap water.
I actually pulled the water report for my district and it said that the chloramine can range from 2.5-4.2 PPM.

So according to what you found, 1 dose would be the correct amount.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I called up the company that makes prime and they told me that the normal dosage is enough for the chloramines but that I could " overdose by up to 5x this amount if you have abnormally high concentrations of chlorine or chloramine in your water"
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by miogpsrocks View Post
I called up the company that makes prime and they told me that the normal dosage is enough for the chloramines but that I could " overdose by up to 5x this amount if you have abnormally high concentrations of chlorine or chloramine in your water"
5x dose? Maybe if I was trying to treat chloramine build up in a swimming pool! The ranges in our tanks 99.99% of the time are <4ppm. The recommended dose is fine in nearly every case.

I'm more interested in dosage when detoxifying highish levels of ammonia.. much bigger concern than chloramine treatment.. then a 5x dose may be necessary.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode