pfertz vs SeaChem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
pfertz vs SeaChem

I am in the planning phase for an extra 10g that I have lying around. So I started going through all my supplies, gadgets, gear and junk to see just what all I have and what I still need.

Low and behold, I am real low on Ferts. Time to order some more.

I've always used SeaChem products and like them very much, but now I see this pfertz line that's out.

What are you opinions on ferts?

pfertz or SeaChem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
I prefer the pfertz line but that's a personal thing as I think there about even.

Pfertz costs less in the long run as there three bottles last longer than the Flourish line but they do not have a C02 product so you still end up using Excel. Seachem is easier to get locally but Pfertz pump bottles are loads better than Seachem's poor and pray caps (better to use a pipette).

I like the results from both products but pfertz ease of use make it the winner for me.

- Brad

Proud member of the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradac56 View Post
I prefer the pfertz line but that's a personal thing as I think there about even.

Pfertz costs less in the long run as there three bottles last longer than the Flourish line but they do not have a C02 product so you still end up using Excel. Seachem is easier to get locally but Pfertz pump bottles are loads better than Seachem's poor and pray caps (better to use a pipette).

I like the results from both products but pfertz ease of use make it the winner for me.

- Brad
I agree with you about the "pour and pray" method of the bottle caps that SeaChem uses. Personally, I went to my local drug store and asked them for a 1ml and a 5 ml syringe (without the needles of course) and that is what I use to measure my dosing. The 5ml is used to measure out how much AmQuel+ I need to use during water changes. (Local tap water contains chloramines)

About the pfertz root tabs.
How long to they last?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 12:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

I use Pfertz and can say that I am more than happy with them. I do however, still use Seachem Iron, and Excel on my nano tank. The slick look, as well as the simplicity and the over-all results makes Pfertz my vote.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearunSimpson View Post
I use Pfertz and can say that I am more than happy with them. I do however, still use Seachem Iron, and Excel on my nano tank. The slick look, as well as the simplicity and the over-all results makes Pfertz my vote.
Why are you still using Seachem Iron? Unless I read the web site wrong, doesn't pfertz offer an Iron supplement? Or is that just throught the root tabs?

P.S. Still. How long to the root tabs last (apx)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 03:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I started using Flourish. Just switched to Pfertz. Seems easier and you can buy large refills that are relatively economical for the long-term. Not nearly as economical as dry fertz for sure, but I'm still in the keep it simple beginner stage.

So far, the plants still grow as fast as I can trim them.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJAquaBarren View Post
I started using Flourish. Just switched to Pfertz. Seems easier and you can buy large refills that are relatively economical for the long-term. Not nearly as economical as dry fertz for sure, but I'm still in the keep it simple beginner stage.

So far, the plants still grow as fast as I can trim them.
Good to know, but I am still wondering how long the root tabs last..
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Algae Grower

SeaChem root tabs will work around 3 to 3 1/2 months in my tank. Waiting or all my seachem to go out so i can try Pfertz. Pfertz Looks good.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks for the kind words, folks!

JoePhish - our root tabs are time-release, and typically last 3-4 months. Our root tabs are also pretty iron-rich at 15% total iron, and each tab covers approx 45sq in. I guess its probably time to put that info on our website

Regarding iron supplementation, in addition to root tabs, our micros contains low levels of iron. Most tanks do well with our iron levels, but there are definitely tanks out there that need more. It really boils down to an individual tank's needs.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/100%)
So, it will almost cover a 7"x7" area? Oh I like that...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanzer22 View Post
So, it will almost cover a 7"x7" area? Oh I like that...
Yup! And since there are 16 tabs in a tin, you can cover 720 sq in worth with one package, which is roughly the footprint of a 75 gallon tank.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfertz View Post
Yup! And since there are 16 tabs in a tin, you can cover 720 sq in worth with one package, which is roughly the footprint of a 75 gallon tank.

Hmmmm. Do you guys have anythinbg like Excell? Or are you planning on something like that.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePhish View Post
Hmmmm. Do you guys have anythinbg like Excell? Or are you planning on something like that.
We don't have anything at the moment, but who knows what 2010 might bring to the pfertz lineup
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
i use seachem

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode