can you have too much perigean - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
can you have too much perigean

I just bought some Purigen. I don't want to take it out of the fine mesh bag it comes in, but I want to put it in a HOB on a 4 gallon tank, Can you use too much purigen?

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Not sure what you mean.
Do you have "The 'BAG' of Purigen which measures approx. 4" + X 2.5" or so ?
Is that bag too large to fit in into the filter compartment that you intend to place it in, and would you need to double it up (fold it over in 2) to get it to fit ?
(If you needed to double it like that, this would prevent water from readily flowing through the Purigen beads, thereby rendering it pretty much ineffective).

I don't think you can use too much Purigen, but you do need to use it properly for it to work. If you need the bag to be smaller, you might do one of 2 things: 1 - Carefully cut the bag to a size that would work without losing too many of the tiny beads, then re-sowing, or otherwise sealing, the open end back up very well to prevent the beads from escaping; or 2 - you can buy small fine mesh bags from a PetSmart store, cut them to size, double them up, fill them with Purigen beads removed from your bag, & re-seal the new container well with good string, or thread to ensure the beads won't escape.
(In the case of option # 1, the Purigen can be let loose into a suitably-sized dish, and enough of it put back into the re-sized bag that you've put together.)
This should work if you can understand the instructions.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You'd have to have a very large tank for the Moon's perigee to cause spring tides (perigean).

Seachem Purigen is an absorbent material. It does not add anything to the water. I believe that the only consequence of having more Purigen is that you wont have to regenerate it as often.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Not sure what you mean.
Do you have "The 'BAG' of Purigen which measures approx. 4" + X 2.5" or so ?
Is that bag too large to fit in into the filter compartment that you intend to place it in, and would you need to double it up (fold it over in 2) to get it to fit ?
(If you needed to double it like that, this would prevent water from readily flowing through the Purigen beads, thereby rendering it pretty much ineffective).

I don't think you can use too much Purigen, but you do need to use it properly for it to work. If you need the bag to be smaller, you might do one of 2 things: 1 - Carefully cut the bag to a size that would work without losing too many of the tiny beads, then re-sowing, or otherwise sealing, the open end back up very well to prevent the beads from escaping; or 2 - you can buy small fine mesh bags from a PetSmart store, cut them to size, double them up, fill them with Purigen beads removed from your bag, & re-seal the new container well with good string, or thread to ensure the beads won't escape.
(In the case of option # 1, the Purigen can be let loose into a suitably-sized dish, and enough of it put back into the re-sized bag that you've put together.)
This should work if you can understand the instructions.
yes, its the stock 4X2 plastic mesh bag that the Purigen comes in. Says treats 100g so I was just wondering if using too much would swing some water parameter way out of whack.

But the more I thought about it....
It's an organic adsorbent material. It is going to adsorb everything it can and then just be "inert" since it doesn't "add" anything to the water, no harm no foul.
So I threw the whole satchel into the filter last night...Water sparkling clear and all fish happy as clams!

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

There you go - so it fit ok in the filter compartment - then it should work just fine.
The plus is you'll need to re-charge it less often, as pointed out by Argus.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode