nitrates still high - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
nitrates still high

So I had high nitrates in the 75 last week in the 80-160 range. Today it was in the 160+ range. This is with the api test kit. I did a 20-20% water change and it lowered it to the 80-160 range again. I did another water change in the afternoon and it is still showing 80-160. When I test my 29 it shows 5-10 range so the test kit does seem to work and I did not get to calibrate it yet as I need to get the potassium nitrate which I have to order. How pure does the potassium nitrate need to be? I've seen it advertised as stump remover and it was 99.5%. What is the a reason the nitrates don't seem to go down? I'm going to do another water change tomorrow. Is there anything else that can lower it? What are the major contributing factors to that high of nitrates?

The tall plants in the center and left side seem to grow a couple inches a day and my other plants are finally starting to show growth. This pic is from today.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 09:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Your water changes need to be @ 50%.
They are staying high because the caw thing is releasing ammonia and that is being converted to the nitrite which is then converted to nitrate by the second bacteria.
Until the ammonia stops being leached into the water by the fert you used it will
continue to do this.
If you do a 50% water change and then check the nitrates, then test again each day to see how fast they come back up, you can find out if you can skip a day in between the water changes.
I can't account for why this hasn't happened in the past with this fert you are using.
But just some dirt subs do this and the tank owners just ride it out. Usually when setting up a new tank without critters in it yet.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So the ferts are causing this? These are what I'm using.

Is continuing to use these going to keep the nitrates high?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 03:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your plants, as you say, are just starting to grow. You are feeding the fish too - that adds macro and micro fertilisers too. I would lay off dosing macro fertilisers for at least 2 weeks and micro fertilisers for at least 4 weeks. Your water changes and fish food should be sufficient to fulfill the nutrition demands of your plants for the time.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I forgot to mention that I also put some osmocote pills in there as well. I have maybe 4 or 5 spread throughout the tank. Will that cause any problems. I did 2 more water changes today and got the nitrates down to 80 but getting on the lighter side.

75g planted, 100 watts light, co2
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had osmocote tabs raise nitrates before, how big were they? How well buried were they?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 03:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You will not be able to anything about those root tablets now. Just lay off over-fertilising your tank. No dosing for an additional 2 weeks and keep up the water change routine.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

the pills were pretty big, probably over 1/4" in diameter. I made sure they were covered up good but i think I did see a couple of the little balls above the surface after doing a good tank cleaning. Would I be better off not using the root pills anymore and sticking with the liquids after this clears up?

How long do the osmocote pills last? I put them in maybe 2 weeks ago

75g planted, 100 watts light, co2

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-01-2015 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode