PPS questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
PPS questions

Hello! I have been reading up on the PPS dosing method and all I see is people using dry ferts. Could someone please show me how to use liquid ferts like the ones in the seachem line?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowsrfunybb25 View Post
Hello! I have been reading up on the PPS dosing method and all I see is people using dry ferts. Could someone please show me how to use liquid ferts like the ones in the seachem line?
Thanks!
PPS is based on dry ferts, they are superior to the Flourish line in every way. You are supposed to use dry ferts for PPS because the dry ferts aren't diluted in water like the Flourish ferts are. Plus, it is more cost-effective because you can buy a PPS-PRO dosing package for $30 and it will last much longer that $30 of Flourish products. Also, you generally mix the macros and trace ferts in RO/distilled water to create your own solutions, 1 ml per 10 gallons per day.

Last edited by sohankpatel; 11-29-2015 at 10:36 PM. Reason: TYPO
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 09:49 PM
Algae Grower

If you still want to use liquid ferts you can buy the pps pro package from green leaf aquariums. They come with some dosing bottles so you can make your own liquid fertilizer. You will need RO water to do this. Also, keep in mind that the trace nutrients sometimes mold once dissolved in water.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Some people have problems with nitrates and if the 2 bottle system is purchased you can't remove the KNO3 from your solution.
1 dry packet per bottle.

If the dry separate products are purchased a nitrate free bottle can be created.

NilocG is a member here and sells the products.
He is very helpful to many members I have seen on here.

If you wish you can duplicate the Seachem line but it can be reduced to two bottles.
I would suggest 3 bottles if nitrates due to fish load is high.

Bottle 1 all macro's minus the KNO3.
Bottle 2 replicate the Seachem nitrogen product.
Bottle 3 all micro's add iron if desired.

Dose bottle 2 only when needed.

How are the nitrate levels in your aquarium?
That would be a determining factor in your decision.

Suggesting this only because of so many threads are related to high NO3 and dosing is usually involved.

This site https://sites.google.com/site/aquati...ts-and-testing has a wealth of information.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.

Last edited by Maryland Guppy; 11-29-2015 at 10:07 PM. Reason: add link
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:15 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just an FYI, and don't know if this help but the basic dosing for PPS-Pro is 1ml per 10 gallons. I have had pretty good luck with this method in my 3 tanks (75g high tech, 40g high tech, 20g low tech). Agree with others, cost wise it is much cheaper to go with dry ferts from Nilocg or GLA.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Just an FYI, and don't know if this help but the basic dosing for PPS-Pro is 1ml per 10 gallons. I have had pretty good luck with this method in my 3 tanks (75g high tech, 40g high tech, 20g low tech). Agree with others, cost wise it is much cheaper to go with dry ferts from Nilocg or GLA.
Thanks for catching my mistake "1 ml per gallon per day" that would probably kill all his fish and cover the tank in algae.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:46 PM
Captain

LOL, I dont know about all that, but he will certainly go thru ALOT of product! Just sitting here thinking about my 75g tank. I have a 5ml syringe and give the tank about 1.5 syringes worth. 1ml/g would be 15 syringes worth! That might take me a while LOL. But, yes, the 1ml/10 gallon works nicely for a daily fert routine.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you have the Seachem products on hand, then I would dose the lower end of the label dosing, but do this more often.
This will keep the fertilizer at a reasonable level in the water through the week.

Fine tune the dosing by tests:
NO3... remember to read the label on the Seachem Flourish Nitrogen about how to interpret the NO3 test results.
PO4...
Fe... Use this test for some kind of guide for both traces (Seachem Flourish Comprehensive) and iron.

If your tank has a lot of fish, then the fish food you are adding is also feeding the plants. Fish food is high in N, P and most traces.
Fish food is low in Ca, Mg. Water changes usually add these minerals.
Fish food is low in K, Fe. If you need to adjust your fertilizer dosing you will probably increase these and decrease the N, P and traces.

Bump:
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok I was wondering if I could use liquid ferts because i can get those locally apposed from ordering. For micro nutrients I can just dose the Seachem flourish instead of making my own? I already have some and could just make more when I run out. Can I order the Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and potassium from amazon and use the same recipe? also I've heard to keep the mix from molding some people put excel in it.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowsrfunybb25 View Post
Ok I was wondering if I could use liquid ferts because i can get those locally apposed from ordering. For micro nutrients I can just dose the Seachem flourish instead of making my own? I already have some and could just make more when I run out. Can I order the Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and potassium from amazon and use the same recipe? also I've heard to keep the mix from molding some people put excel in it.
Only the micros mold, nilocg and green leaf aquariums are good places to buy a complete set for PPS, in the long run you save alot more money than trying to use flourish and the macros from amazon
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 10:59 PM
Captain

The excel is added to the user created micro solution. The macro solutions dont need excel.
Ordering exactly what you need for your situation might be easier with nilocg. He is very knowledgeable and ships pretty fast.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2015, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you have the liquids on hand, then use them to figure out how much of each fertilizer your tank needs, then you can order each fert separately according to how much you need.

Seachem calls all their ferts 'Flourish' as in Seachem Flourish Nitrogen, Seachem Flourish Excel, Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and so on.

When you order each fertilizer in separate bags you will get:
KNO3- this supplies potassium and nitrogen. If your fish food is already supplying a lot of nitrogen, then you might dose this as such a low level that you need to add another source of potassium.

KH2PO4- this is a source of phosphate. It is dosed so low that is almost does not count as far as a source of potassium. If you are feeding a lot of fish in the tank, then you will probably use less of this, too.

K2SO4- this is an alternate source of potassium (see KNO3)

CSM+B- this is trace minerals. Some people find it a bit low in iron. If your tank has a lot of fish food then you will probably not need a large amount of traces, but fish food does not supply as much iron.

Chelated Iron- Some people dose additional iron. I would especially get this if you are feeding a lot of fish in the tank. The fish food will supply most traces (so you dose a lot less CSM+B) but you will need to dose iron.

Also, if you buy the liquids once, you will then have the bottles to use in mixing up the dry ferts.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

+1 to all that was said about nilocg and his products.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbuster23 View Post
+1 to all that was said about nilocg and his products.
+2 to that.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok I will order the PPS pro soon. Since i won't be able to dose the ferts every morning, can i go with larger amounts every couple days? And I have medium light and no co2 with a good amount of plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode