Questions on Dry Fertz - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Questions on Dry Fertz

Okay so I've been MIA lately and i feel like it's time to start treating my plants a bit better. They need some tlc and I've had these ferts for awhile now without using them at all. I really have no idea how to dose and how much to dose.

My tank is 24 gallons with pressurized CO2 with a 78W light.

These are what I have:

Thanks in advance (:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Do you have an account over at APC? Use the fertilator. It's way better and easier than any of the other calculators I've come across.

[edit: I went ahead and pulled up some numbers for you on the fertilator. It could be adjusted of course, this was just a real quick one. This screenshot doesn't include the addition of your iron chelate, and that would have to be recalculated.]
Attached Images

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Don't omit dosing phosphates. People who do that usually have slow plant growth, and when they add a little phosphates the plant growth just booms, so much it usually runs the water out of nitrates. Phosphates are essential.

Hoppy

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

^ And, yeah, I forgot to question the absence of any KH2PO4.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Church. Yeah I started playing around with it and I really had no idea.

So that's how much I dose?

So .25 of the CSM+B and then 1 1/4 of the other?
I'm still kind of confused. ;___;
Sorry I know I'm slow at this stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Don't omit dosing phosphates. People who do that usually have slow plant growth, and when they add a little phosphates the plant growth just booms, so much it usually runs the water out of nitrates. Phosphates are essential.
So should I buy some of this?

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 05:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Oh crap, I didn't realize that was some sort of a "pre-mix". Well that's weird, because usually you dose more of the KNO3 than you do of the other stuff. Ok, then, I guess I don't know what you should do. Sorry.

I've always gotten individual bags of all my dry ferts, rather than buying them all mixed up.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 06:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
You bought the "Poor man's dosing drops" or PMDD mix, which is an outdated method of fertilization. It centered on the premise by limiting the phosphate, the plants would take up any available phosphate and you could limit algae. Tom Barr (among others) proved this false, and now most of us add phosphates to the other essential nutrients.

Doesn't mean your ferts won't work, just that you will need to buy some KH2PO4. (potassium phosphate)

I'm not familiar with PMDD, so perhaps someone who has used it in the past could help you out with dosing amounts. If you don't have any luck here, try Tom Barr's forum. While you're there, take a look at the threads on "EI", or estimative index fertilizing. it's a relatively fool-proof method of making sure there are always enough ferts in the water so plants are never limited. Its also easy to follow. Just remember, all these strategies hinge on 50% weekly water changes.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Don't forget to have a look at the "Dosing Regimes" sticky at the beginning of this forum.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...-regimes_.html
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I'll have something to say about that in a few days! Yesterday I accidentally overdosed my tank with phosphate. I started boosting the nitrate dose to help combat a BGA outbreak (along with boosting CO2) and I grabbed the bag of phosphate thinking it was the nitrate and put in 3 or 4 heaping 1/8 tsp's and I do mean heaping! That's in a 55 gallon tank.So far everything looks fine.

Mark

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode