Another water thread about TDS - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Another water thread about TDS

So I just received my nice Hannah TDS meter in the mail and I cant seem to wrap my head around what the reading mean since in my tanks they dont correspond to ph at all.

My CRS tank with ADA AS has a reading of ~200ppm PH 7.0
Discus tank with ADA AS has a reading of ~270ppm PH 6.4
Tap is ~150 PH 7.8

With the tap having the highest PH out of the 3 but lowest TDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Guy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
So I just received my nice Hannah TDS meter in the mail and I cant seem to wrap my head around what the reading mean since in my tanks they dont correspond to ph at all.

My CRS tank with ADA AS has a reading of ~200ppm PH 7.0
Discus tank with ADA AS has a reading of ~270ppm PH 6.4
Tap is ~150 PH 7.8

With the tap having the highest PH out of the 3 but lowest TDS.

TDS is not really related to PH. Acidic water can also have a high TDS. It can tell you how much "stuff" is in the water but it can't tell you what the "stuff" is.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
I always thought that to "soften" the water was to take out the dissolved solids. But it looks like ADA Aquasoil takes nothing out.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
The only way to remove solids from your water it to run it through filtering systems like RO/DI. My RO/DI produces 0 readings
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Softening typically means removing hardness cations - primarily calcium and magnesium. In a residential softener, those ions are replaced with sodium ions.

Russ

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode