My journey into automated dosing of ferts - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
My journey into automated dosing of ferts

So I love my planted tank but hate dosing it in the morning before I go to work.

I ended up purchasing dry ferts from GLA since I have been using seachems line for a while. I mixed them with 1500ml of distilled water and calculated out doses of 10ML (1/3 dose as recommended for low tech).

I bought a Jabeo DP-4 so it has 4 dosing heads, its pretty straight forward on how to set up and use. If you have any questions let me know, took me all of 10 mins to figure out. Just make sure you calibrate it when you first get it.

My programming is

PUMP1: 1 dose every day of 5ml @7:00 am Excel
PUMP2: 1 dose every 3rd day of 10ml @8:00 am CSM+B
PUMP3: 1 dose every 3rd day of 10ml @8:05 am KNO3
PUMP4: 1 dose every 3rd day of 10ml @8:10 am KH2PO4

This is my first day with it set up, so I'll try and answer questions and update it as I go, or find issues, etc. I know a few people have looked into it but I haven't found much info on it in the freshwater community.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 02:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm surprised more people don't do this since its pretty popular for dosing 2 part in the reef community.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 05:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
I've seen some pretty complex auto-dosing setups on here, from arduino controlled magic to jerry rigged peristaltic pumps. After googling the price for the Jabeo DP-4, I'm also really surprised people don't go this route more often. Good luck and thanx for sharing.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Look forward to see how this works out for you. Has anyone also tried dosing food for vacation time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
That's pretty cheap. Let us know how it goes.

Under construction.

Eheim 2217, pressurized C02, high tech planted

post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

will do, seems like everything is going as planned, seems to be dosing accurately and i can sleep through it haha.

total cost is under $90

$73 for the pump,
$6 for tubing
$6 for hard tubing for dosing containers (glass milk jugs)

This is prob the best thing I've spent money on in a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBdirtbag View Post
Look forward to see how this works out for you. Has anyone also tried dosing food for vacation time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Theres a few options for timed feeders for pretty cheap.

post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 04:00 AM
Planted Member

This is a really sweet idea! I also can't believe more people don't do this, especially on bigger tanks.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-26-2015, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm using mine to dose 1-3ml (depending on the solution) every hour. Combined with an automated water changing system, this allows the maintenance of a consistent TDS of the water.

You can also purchase the DP-4S which is the slave unit and will be controlled by the main unit as in the OP.

Feel free to edit.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So i was checking on it today and noticed a decent amount of air in the lines, looks like i didnt spend enough time bleeding the lines, so i manually dosed them into their containers until most the air was out.

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-10-2015, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Version 2 of this was released, pretty sure i have version 1 . V2 apparently fixes the issue with air in the lines. Fish-Street seems to be the most active jebao retailer and it might be worth it if you are looking for one to pay them the extra money to make sure you get a v2.

I ran into this thread saying that the pumps internals may be installed incorrectly compared to the other higher end pumps that they copied.

Marine Magic Dosing Pump - Head Assembly - Reef Central Online Community

I went ahead and tried it and i still get air in the line from it not pinching 100%. So I ordered Check valves to install into the intake of the pump to stop it from happening. Ill get them Friday and try to update you if it fixes the issues.

post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 04:23 PM
Planted Member

This looks amazing! I know what I'll be using my play money from my next paycheck for!

It will be really nice to have something that will dose my tank right before the lights come on while I'm at work.

Thanks for the share!

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiala06 View Post
This looks amazing! I know what I'll be using my play money from my next paycheck for!

It will be really nice to have something that will dose my tank right before the lights come on while I'm at work.

Thanks for the share!
No problem!

I installed the check valves tonight and ill keed you updated if they work or not.

If you have any questions let me know!

post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Algae Grower

I have a very similar setup. The pumps work very well, but sometimes the tubing gets air in it. I put in check valves in the outputs but it doesn't seem to help that much. It makes it tricky to do daily smaller doses since 1 of the 3 ml may be an air pocket.

Overall, it beats doing it manually for sure!
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilenarios View Post
I have a very similar setup. The pumps work very well, but sometimes the tubing gets air in it. I put in check valves in the outputs but it doesn't seem to help that much. It makes it tricky to do daily smaller doses since 1 of the 3 ml may be an air pocket.

Overall, it beats doing it manually for sure!
i have put mine on the intake, its litterally the first thing that the solution goes through, my check valves are inside the bottles. Ill let you know how it goes.

post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 04:56 PM
Algae Grower

Hey Slythy, any luck with your setup? Have you seen less or no air in your auto dosing lines?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode