Water changes and top offs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Water changes and top offs

I'm sure there's been threads but I'm curious about people's water changes.. There type of schedules or type of recipe they do with water changes..or how about your fish do you take all them out or do you leave them in? Curiosity is all for the ones that like to share
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey there.

I do a 5 gallon water change on my 20 gallon tall and long once a week. It's good enough to keep my parameters in check and my inhabitants never have problems with it. I use Prime decholorinator, it's the best in my opinion because of the ability to remove ammonia from tap water.

The Fraternity of Dirt #169
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I do a 30=50% water change each weekend on all my tanks. I use a python because I am old and don't need to hoist buckets anymore. I drain me big 125 down past halfway and my large angels happily deal with it...I think by now they realize that wonderful fresh water is just around the corner.

I mix in prime or whatever type of water treatment I have at hand whilst I am filling.

North Dakota
125 planted, angels, rummies, c02 tank
72 bow, mystery snails and angels
55 planted, yellow neon shrimp
55 shrimp tank, rcs
29 shrimp tank, blue- not sure what kind
40 long - winter koi home
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
5.5- cycling to be another shrimp tank...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So far some good information and thank you to the members that have commented! Any others on the site and the ways they do their tanks for water changes and top offs and all that jazz???

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsherwood View Post
I do a 30=50% water change each weekend on all my tanks. I use a python because I am old and don't need to hoist buckets anymore. I drain me big 125 down past halfway and my large angels happily deal with it...I think by now they realize that wonderful fresh water is just around the corner.

I mix in prime or whatever type of water treatment I have at hand whilst I am filling.
HAHA thats understandable!! this hobby is supposed to be enjoyable and any thing that makes life easier is understandable!

Do you just pour the prime right into the tank with your fish? Also I'm guessing with all the tanks you have that you don't take any fish out of the tanks while you empty and refill.. Correct?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 09:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You do not need to take your fish out while doing a water change.

My routine varies on the type of tank I have. My more standard planted tanks get weekly 30-50% water changes and my Walstad tanks usually get just top offs with changes infrequently.

In either case - I put prime in the tank and fill it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 10:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I perform 50 % water changes each week in all tank's, and dose dry fertilizer's next day.
For top off's, I keep a three gallon bucket of tapwater that sit's next to the tank's for maybe four day's to use for top off as that is about how long it takes (evaporation) before I need to top off.
Sometimes I throw plant clipping's in the bucket ,or catch/move fish and or use the bucket to transport the clipping's/fishes to local mom and pop store a few block's away to trade for store credit.
Truly one of the last mom and pop stores ,and it remind's me each time I go in how old I'm getting, for I have been trading there for a longtime.
The three gallon bucket also remind's me, for I used to be able to heft five gallon bucket's with great ease.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

Hello pat...

I'm one of the few "water change fanatics". I have several 55 and 60 gallon tanks and remove and replace roughly 60 percent of the water in them every week. The key to this hobby is a pure, steady, water chemistry. The longer water stays in the tank, the more it changes chemically. If you change out a lot of water and do it frequently, there's no chance of pollutants to build up before you remove them, so the fish and plants stay healthy. If you're skeptical, fill a glass with water and leave it out for a day or two. Taste it and then fill another with fresh water and taste it. I'll bet the fresh water tastes better. Believe me, the fish notice it too.

It's all about the water.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 12:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I am halfway to water change bliss.. I do weekly 50-60% every Friday night/Sat morning. For dump in turn off filter and open valve and water drains to sink in basement. Refill with aqueon water changer. Need to automate refill, but want to move heater inline first. I do change at night being I have an inline co2 reactor and don't like shutting filter off during light cycle. Fish ALWAYS stay in tank and seem to like to play in the fresh water as it flows it. When I finish my water change system I will be able to dump and fill at same time and in theory be able to do a 100% water change\flush if ever needed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Main Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I do water changes very 'willy nilly' these days. My shrimp tank can go several weeks without passing 10 ppm nitrate or 100ppm TDS. As for my main tank, after about 2 weeks the nitrate reaches 20-40 ppm and needs a water change. I usually do about 30-50% on either tank. I usually am doing something else so I just stop draining the tank whenever it is convenient. For instance, I was doing dishes and finished. So I turned off the drain and starting filling the main display. It was like 60% drained. Meh, a little too much. My 50+ fish cared not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 03:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Any tank that has fish I change 50% once a week.
My shrimp tanks used to get 25-30% once a week but the nitrates never build up beyond trace, so I have switched now to every two weeks for those. Anything less frequent makes me antsy.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello pat...

I'm one of the few "water change fanatics". I have several 55 and 60 gallon tanks and remove and replace roughly 60 percent of the water in them every week. The key to this hobby is a pure, steady, water chemistry. The longer water stays in the tank, the more it changes chemically. If you change out a lot of water and do it frequently, there's no chance of pollutants to build up before you remove them, so the fish and plants stay healthy. If you're skeptical, fill a glass with water and leave it out for a day or two. Taste it and then fill another with fresh water and taste it. I'll bet the fresh water tastes better. Believe me, the fish notice it too.

It's all about the water.

B
I totally understand what your saying! Ya I cant for tomorrow to do a water change. plus I got some new dry ferts coming in that I'm excited to start using!

Bump: Thanks everyone for replying and giving your input!! I cant wait to do a water change tomorrow! I always feel that water changes just make every thing cleaner and better looking HA. Plus I got some new dry ferts coming in and I cant wait to start using them. I mean I use leaf zone and excel but those seem like they kind of work. So I'm gonna take a stab at the dry ferts and see how it helps the plants
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I mostly run sump setups with very small micron filters, aside of cleaning glass and swapping filter socks weekly once the tank has reached its sweet spot I don't change the water, I top off with r/o and dose if needed, if a fish is I'll or hurt I will change the water during treatment. I had an angel tank I didn't change the water in for over a year, crystal clear water perfect parameters, but weekly swapping and cleaning of a powerful mechanical filter makes that possible for me.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode