glutaraldehyde or glutardialdehyde - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
glutaraldehyde or glutardialdehyde

Is there any difference? Both are 25% and by mistake i purchased glutardialdehyde. They said its the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

It's the same. There's 2 aldehyde units, one on each end of the 5-carbon chain. Hence the synonym of glutar"di"aldehyde.

It's a common problem with names of complex organic (i.e. carbon-based) molecules, lots of synonyms.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

Last edited by Daisy Mae; 11-18-2015 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Typo
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
It's the same. There's 2 aldehyde units, one on each end of the 5-carbon chain. Hence the synonym of glutar"di"aldehyde.

It's a common problem with names of complex organic (i.e. carbon-based) molecules, lots of synonyms.
Well why the same co. Sells glutaraldehyde 25% aqueous solution and glutardialdehyde 25% solution? Just afraid to put it in my tank. Also the colour is a bit yellow. I guess it shud be pure transperent

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

I don't know why the company sells it under two names.

It's supposed to be colourless, so if there's a tinge, that makes me think impurities. Impurities would vary depending on the grade sold.

If you're worried, don't use it.

Or, use it in a smaller container e.g if you have a one gallon or two gallon jar with some plants, you can test to see if it damages the plants after a week or so of dosing.

Daisy Mae V
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I don't know why the company sells it under two names.

It's supposed to be colourless, so if there's a tinge, that makes me think impurities. Impurities would vary depending on the grade sold.

If you're worried, don't use it.

Or, use it in a smaller container e.g if you have a one gallon or two gallon jar with some plants, you can test to see if it damages the plants after a week or so of dosing.
Im jus afraid to use. Here are the 2 product with details..

http://www.merckmillipore.com/IN/en/...4239#relations

http://www.merckmillipore.com/IN/en/...hysicochemical Information
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 06:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, it looks like Millipore is marketing it for different applications. Common enough practice. That's probably why they are naming it differently.

If they told you it's the same compound it sounds to me it's true.

You would have to significantly dilute it for sure. That's a very concentrated solution.

Daisy Mae V
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 06:42 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Okay, so I checked the SDS for both of them. They're listed as different names, with different catalog numbers, with different identified uses. The only hazardous ingredient of both of them is glutaraldehyde (greater than or equal to 25%, less than 50%), with the same CAS #.

The description section has the glut having a light yellow collor with a "pungent" odor, while dial has a colorless color with a "characteristic" odor. Which is odd, because you say it's the other way around. And, interestingly, the melting point of dial is 8 degrees C warmer (-6 to -14) than glut, while they have the same boiling point.

Most other stuff looks the same. There's no listing of non-hazardous components, so no way to tell what's in it. But since it's non-hazardous, it's probably safe-ish. Your call.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Yeah, it looks like Millipore is marketing it for different applications. Common enough practice. That's probably why they are naming it differently.

If they told you it's the same compound it sounds to me it's true.

You would have to significantly dilute it for sure. That's a very concentrated solution.
To make 1.5% im diluting 30ml of 25% to 470ml of ro water

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Okay, so I checked the SDS for both of them. They're listed as different names, with different catalog numbers, with different identified uses. The only hazardous ingredient of both of them is glutaraldehyde (greater than or equal to 25%, less than 50%), with the same CAS #.

The description section has the glut having a light yellow collor with a "pungent" odor, while dial has a colorless color with a "characteristic" odor. Which is odd, because you say it's the other way around. And, interestingly, the melting point of dial is 8 degrees C warmer (-6 to -14) than glut, while they have the same boiling point.

Most other stuff looks the same. There's no listing of non-hazardous components, so no way to tell what's in it. But since it's non-hazardous, it's probably safe-ish. Your call.
Well they wont take back, so ill have to use the same. I know nothing about chemistry, but i called them, they said its same. Hopefully nothing goes wrong. But what can be the impurities? Will it be harmfulto fishes shrimps? The recomended 1.5% dose is 10ml, but ill start wit 5ml for mytotal water volume 380 to 400liter

Just saw on wiki, check the other names section.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutaraldehyde

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-20-2015 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 01:18 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanomania View Post
Just saw on wiki, check the other names section.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutaraldehyde
Well, yeah, it's the same chemical, nobody's arguing that.

All I did was relay what I saw in the SDSs. And what's there suggests that the same chemical might be mixed with different non-hazardous substances. Almost all water, but maybe there's something like soap in one of them. Or natural coloring. Or sodium (Na), which would account for the higher melting point of one.

Seriously, I have no idea. Try it and find out. They're both "readily biodegradable", so I wouldn't expect any long-term damage past what the glut would do in the first place. Dilute them down to Excel strength, which would be a maybe 7-8% concentration of the glut to distilled water, administer, and report back!

Or maybe two different clowns wrote the SDS sheets, and they're both exactly the same. Not really any way to tell. Unless you've got a deep freezer that can drop below -8 degrees Celcius (17.6F) (and had both to compare). That would be a neat experiment.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-20-2015 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Or maybe two different clowns wrote the SDS sheets, and they're both exactly the same. Not really any way to tell. Unless you've got a deep freezer that can drop below -8 degrees Celcius (17.6F) (and had both to compare). That would be a neat experiment.
Im making 1.5% soution like flourish excel. Will start with only 5ml. Also posting a pic of the actual bottle in smtime, as soon as i reach home.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-20-2015 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Have made and dosed 50% of the actual dose. No illeffects as of now. Well the smell of it is the same

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode