Dry ferts Questions (Mix or Not) - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By nilocg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry ferts Questions (Mix or Not)

Will be starting EI dosing next Monday. That being said, it isn't clear on whether or not I need to mix the ferts with water beforehand. It seems easy enough to do so, but didn't know if it was required. Can I just dump the dry ferts (measured correctly) straight into the water? I would be doing so in a high flow area. Current set up is below:

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2606.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	546370  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 01:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Both work well, but I hate when fish try to nimble at the salts... Why not accurately weight once and make a master solution? Then you have one bottle, from which you measure every other day x ml of substance. In this case, I find it easier to measure volume than weight.

On hiatus till later this year
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you. So to clarify, I can mix the KN03, KH2P04 and K2S04 together. However, the CSM+B must be mixed separately. Is this correct?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Exactly so. Please use distilled /RO water for mixing.
If you have a large enough aquarium that you can accurately measure CSM-B, I would keep that as a powder. The traces should be more stable in this form.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 02:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
When dry dosing measurements don't have to be "percise" "exact", or "spot on"...

I've never made a solution with dry ferts in over a year of using them. I use a 1/8 tsp measuring spoon for CSM+B and iron, and a 1/4 tsp for everything else. I keep all of my ferts in their own little container and just pop the lid scoop and dump. None of my ferts ever develop mold, which can happen to I think it's CSM+B, my ferts never separate they're already separate. OK so the fish nibble on the fert as it sinks in the tank and spit it out... Fish always nibble at things and spit them back out, it doesn't harm the fish at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
When dry dosing measurements don't have to be "percise" "exact", or "spot on"...

I've never made a solution with dry ferts in over a year of using them. I use a 1/8 tsp measuring spoon for CSM+B and iron, and a 1/4 tsp for everything else. I keep all of my ferts in their own little container and just pop the lid scoop and dump. None of my ferts ever develop mold, which can happen to I think it's CSM+B, my ferts never separate they're already separate. OK so the fish nibble on the fert as it sinks in the tank and spit it out... Fish always nibble at things and spit them back out, it doesn't harm the fish at all.
Is iron necessary to dose if I'm already going to dose CSM+B 3 x weekly? I thought there was already iron included in CSM+B. Just curious, being that I'm pretty new to the EI method.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 03:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
In this case we talk about accuracy, different thing from precision.
EI is estimative, so there is some margin of error, but why add errors if you can easily avoid them.

As I said both are good to use. For me, the small size of the aquarium makes it difficult to accurately measure dry ferts. If you have a very large aquarium and want to dose say only 10ml of solution, you may reach the solubility limit.

About CSM-B and iron. Yes Csm has iron but not enough. Have fun reading this thread

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=853001

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukydaf View Post
EI is estimative, so there is some margin of error, but why add errors if you can easily avoid them.

As I said both are good to use. For me, the small size of the aquarium makes it difficult to accurately measure dry ferts. If you have a very large aquarium and want to dose say only 10ml of solution, you may reach the solubility limit.

About CSM-B and iron. Yes Csm has iron but not enough. Have fun reading this thread

CSM+B Toxicity Experiment - The Planted Tank Forum

Great link (and feedback)! I appreciate it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukydaf View Post

CSM+B Toxicity Experiment - The Planted Tank Forum

Where did you get from that thread that CSM+B doesnt have enough iron? It is impossible to tell someone whether they will get enough iron from CSM+B without knowing about the tank they are using it in. For most tanks it probably has enough, for high tech tanks sometimes you will need a little extra.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 08:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsaum82 View Post
Is iron necessary to dose if I'm already going to dose CSM+B 3 x weekly? I thought there was already iron included in CSM+B. Just curious, being that I'm pretty new to the EI method.
Not enough to meet the needs of some of my plants, if I wasn't trying for reds that popped I wouldn't use iron at all. From the pic in your OP I wouldn't worry about adding extra iron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 08:36 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
I no longer recommend dry dosing directly into the water. Reason: Salt burn. This damages plant tissue and can cause algae to grow on the affected parts.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
Where did you get from that thread that CSM+B doesnt have enough iron? It is impossible to tell someone whether they will get enough iron from CSM+B without knowing about the tank they are using it in. For most tanks it probably has enough, for high tech tanks sometimes you will need a little extra.
If you read thread CSM+B toxicity thread, I mentioned that you may need to reformulate the micros mix you're selling because of the toxic concentrations of the other metals in CSM+B. I was hoping you'd do the math to figure out a close ratio similar to Seachem Flourish.

Bump:
Quote:
Not enough to meet the needs of some of my plants, if I wasn't trying for reds that popped I wouldn't use iron at all. From the pic in your OP I wouldn't worry about adding extra iron
What you probably observed was induced iron deficiency, not that there wasn't enough from CSM+B.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2015, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just use an empty aspirin bottle that I cleaned and put each dose ... what ever day it is micro or macro in dry and dip it in the tank to get water then cap it , shake it, then pour it in. Then rinse out the bottle and dry it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode