DIY Potassium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
DIY Potassium

Some of my stem plants in my 10G are showing signs of Potassium deficiency. The symptoms are small holes in the leaves surrounded brown a dark brown and yellow outside of that. It looks like someone held a hot matchstick to the leaves. My research has shown this to be potassium deficiency. I am dosing with 1ml Flourish comp twice a week. I live in ag country and the local ag supply is hooking me up with a zip lock bag of 0-0-60 muriate of potash. I have an empty 500ml prime bottle I would like to mix up some of this and see if it helps. When the flourish is gone I plan on switching to PPS-Pro from our good friend Nilocg but until then I would like to try the KCL.

My question is how many grams to use and should I use distilled water to mix or old aquarium water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you use KCl the plants will use the potassium but not that much chlorine, so it will build up in the water. For that reason I would much rather use KNO3, giving the plants both nitrogen and potassium. Or, you could use K2SO4, since plants do use both potassium and sulfur. Some people get quite a bit of nitrates from their tap water - they usually use K2SO4. Those of us who don't get nitrates from tap water usually use KNO3.

Hoppy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I completely agree with Hoppy. Muriate of Potash has way too much chloride to use in a planted tank IMO. 60% potassium BUT 45% chloride! If your'e planning to change to PPS then now would be the time. Do yourself a favor and order the proper fertilizers.

I'll give you the dose, however, let me repeat. I would not use this if I were you. To target 7.5 ppm of potassium add 4.26 grams in 500 ml and dose 5ml per 9 gallons.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks to those who replied. I am going to continue to use just the Flourish and next week order some ferts for PPS.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode