What is the best supplement to buy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is the best supplement to buy

What is the best fertilizer for a Aquarium?

I currently use leaf zone and its pretty expensive way to go.

Are there cheaper options available or items available in bulk?

I can't see the need for nitrites since I have so many fish in my aquarium.

Are liquid hydroponics fertilizers ok ?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
The premix solutions work well but are expensive. If you are looking for cheap and effective, go dry. Remember you are looking to dose nitrates not nitrites and also potassium. And then you are looking to dose micro nutrients as well such as iron. I purchased the pps-pro dosing dry ferts from greenleafaquariums.com for about $35 for probably a two year supply with two bottles to premix the solution. It's an easy way to do it as you add just a small amount per day
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
The premix solutions work well but are expensive. If you are looking for cheap and effective, go dry. Remember you are looking to dose nitrates not nitrites and also potassium. And then you are looking to dose micro nutrients as well such as iron. I purchased the pps-pro dosing dry ferts from greenleafaquariums.com for about $35 for probably a two year supply with two bottles to premix the solution. It's an easy way to do it as you add just a small amount per day
+1 on green leaf aquariums. I use the EI dosing method which I believe costs around 15 bucks and will last you a year or two. The customer service at GLA is great as well!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 09:31 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Basically, if you're tired of the expense of liquid ferts, dry ferts are the way to go. GLA has some nice packages, and nilocg sells ferts here (sale forum). And there are other online sources. It's all the same chemicals, so there's no issue of "quality" of KNO3 or KH2PO4 or whatever. There are a number of micro mixes as well (CSM+B, Microplex, etc.). Just pick one - most use CSM+B (Plantex), but it doesn't matter much from a beginner standpoint. If you have low GH, look into GH Booster - that covers Ca and Mg. No need to buy those separately. So, KNO3, KH2PO4, GH Booster (only necessary you have really soft water), and a micro mix. No need for anything else. You'll see that some people use KSO4 for extra K, but it's totally unnecessary in most cases. Up to you, it won't hurt.

If you need dosing bottles, I get mine (and CO2 tubing, and check valves, and some other odds and ends) from USPlastics.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ferts - Here
Calculator for ferts - Here

You don't want to use liquid hydroponics ferts - too much ammonia etc

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode