What is potassium nitrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (6/100%)
What is potassium nitrate?

What is potassium nitrate and how do I monitor levels? Is potassium nitrate the same stuff that seachem sells as nigtrogen? Can levels be monitored with a nitrate test kit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
My flourish nitrogen bottle says it provides nitrogen in both the nitrate form and the plant preferred ammonium form. The solution is derived from potassium nitrate, urea (iminium salt).
It also says that because one half of the nitrogen in flourish nitrogen is from nitrate you can get a reasonable estimate of nitrogen levels by doubling a nitrate reading, or, you can use seachem's multitest: Total Nitrogen (coming soon) to accurately measure total nitrogen while distinguishing between nitrate, ammonia and organic nitrogen.

Personally I just add all the nutrients in the proper doses twice a week regardless what my test kit is showing me. I do a 50% WC weekly. My nitrates stay between 20-50 ppm. My test kit is not calibrated, I more so use test kits to give me a general idea of what my tank is doing. I use the tank appearance itself to judge if there is a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thx for the help!

I'm growing aquarium plants emersed and I'm trying to figure out how to fertalize them correctly. My set up don't have a filter or anything to provide nitrates. And I'm getting blue green algae growing on the substate. I was told to increase and maintaine potasium nitrate at 20ppm. I'm not sure how to do it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you have any pics of your set up?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Here is a video. I'm not using the sprinkler system anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PRvhvd5U0k
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can buy dry potassium nitrate, KNO3, from:
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/
http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aq...ertilizer.html
http://oregonaquadesign.vstore.ca/in...ame/fertilizer

If you read the sticky on dosing methods, and follow the EI dosing amounts you will do pretty well even for emersed plants, which I am assuming have their roots in the water. If not, just do the same, and dose each plant separately a few ml of a mix of water and KNO3.

Hoppy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
To measure NO3 from KNO3:

Lamotte is about the best trade off for decent results, ease of use, runs 50$.
Refills fairly reasonable however.

Still, with all NO3 and PO4 test kits, you MUST calibrate them to see if the ppm's are accurate. This is the same reason why they calibrate pH monitors/meters routine.

You have no way of knowing(in otherwords, you are guessing) whether the reading is correct unless you compare it to a standard known reference.

Here's a semi easy way to do it:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...-chemists.html

You can also use a scale to 2-3 decimal places and do this also.
VERY few aquarist bother to do this, but plenty of hobbyists tell others to test these parameters, generally forgetting, or simply not knowing how to calibrate or even that they need to, they just assume the readings are correct.

Getting aquarist to do this step is like pulling teeth as you can image, particularly with folks not familiar with KNO3 etc and all the other stuff.

Water changes are much easier to explain and get folks to do, so that and experience knowing when to do a water change is a much easier sell to planted aquarists. Then you dose known amounts(nothing runs out), and change the water(nothing builds up).

Much easier for 99% of folks.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode