what are good GH and KH levels - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
what are good GH and KH levels

was wodering what are good GH and KH levels my Kh is 0 and my GH is 75 ppm.Trying to figure out why my anubias is turning lighter green and has brown spots that are decaying looking leaves....also crypts leaves are light green and curling. but all stem plants are doing well???

tank is a 75 gallon with 108 of t5ho. lights are on for 9hours
been dosing seachem flourish
kno3
kh2op4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Avi
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd raise the KH to about 3...but your plants' problems may not necessarily be attributable to that...Look around here for ideas....

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm

http://www.finostrom.com.gr/images/a...ap_Details.jpg
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
GH needs to be high enough to be reasonably sure you are getting some magnesium, or you can add Epsom salts to the water for magnesium. Your 75 ppm is adequae for calcium. KH just needs to not be too high, where too high is around 10 degrees of KH or a bit less.

You have high light intensity in that tank, so you absolutely need pressurized CO2 to let the plants grow at the rate that light is driving them to grow. And, the CO2 needs to be at the optimum concentration, too, plus being well distributed around the tank by having good water circulation in the tank. If you don't have CO2 that would explain what you are seeing - the stem plants are hogging the minimal CO2 that is naturally available.

Hoppy

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well also i have some swords that are growing new leaves in and they are clear looking
and today i turned the light on and one of the crypts leaves are all yellow and a few holes in 1 leaf. soo its gotta be co2 then every thing should be looking better??? also hoppy i saw you write up about a dual stage regulator.If i dont get a dual stage ill have to worry about end of the tank dump off even if i use that high dollar ideal needle??? ive been tryin to find a dual stage but dont see any around =/
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dowg2001 View Post
well also i have some swords that are growing new leaves in and they are clear looking
and today i turned the light on and one of the crypts leaves are all yellow and a few holes in 1 leaf. soo its gotta be co2 then every thing should be looking better??? also hoppy i saw you write up about a dual stage regulator.If i dont get a dual stage ill have to worry about end of the tank dump off even if i use that high dollar ideal needle??? ive been tryin to find a dual stage but dont see any around =/
Two stage regulators are much more expensive than single stage regulators, and really over designed for our use. But, if you watch Ebay carefully, and have a good idea what parameters you are looking for you can get a very good two stage regulator for less than the cost of an aquarium regulator, like the Milwaukee one. Then, you have to add on the cost of a needle valve and solenoid valve. It is a DIY project you will never regret doing.

Not everyone agrees with me on this, but no needle valve, no matter how good, will prevent the bubble rate from rising excessively when you use a cheap single stage regulator. A good single stage regulator will probably not give nearly as big an increase, but I haven't tried that.

Hoppy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Algae Grower

Maybe this could be what you are looking for. http://www.aquariumplants.com/Aquari...ator_p/co2.htm
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
my tap water comes out like this:

Ph-7.2 KH-4 GH-12

Do I need any adjustment? I'm thinking of keeping RCS in a heavily planted tank with CO2.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode