1Likes
  • 2 Post By Hoppy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
PPS Pro and plant mass

Hi folks,

Do you make any adjustments for plant mass when dosing by PPS Pro?

Say I take the plant mass from two heavily planted 20s and move them to a 75, do I just arbitrarily dose now for the 75 at 1ml/10 gal?

Thanks,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 01:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

When you feed your fishes don't you use only so much food as the fishes you have - need? Or do you put in enough food for all the fishes you could in future introduce into your tank?

You must always adjust the fertilisers with the density of your planting (1) and also their rate of growth (2) as the plants grow their mass increases and so do their appetites and fertiliser needs upward tweaking (3) and when you do a big trimming then you should trim the fertilisers downwards too (4).

It always better to follow the policy of adjustment but it does need some experience and involvement - that means dedicated time and thought - which some of us can scarcely afford. The policy of adjustment also means a long learning process - a path with many noobe pitfalls and mistakes. So the planted tank hobbyist are presented with systems of fertilisation like the 'PPS Pro' and 'EI' to follow - they generally fit with most tanks but are no way the ideal way of maintaining a tank.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Guess I can live with that then. I'll just start with the PPS guidelines and learn to see where I need to adjust things then.

Thanks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 03:11 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Why not split the difference between the old dose and the new dose?

Say, five or six ml instead of seven, or eight...if you rounded up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The reason why the EI method was developed and promoted by Plantbrain was that he noted that over fertilizing did not do any harm, unless the overdosage was way beyond what would normally occur. That led to the idea of dosing a bit more than the plants would ever need, with weekly 50% water changes to limit how much build up of each of the fertilizers could ever occur. It is a very simple concept. It works very well. And, it is used by a huge number of planted tankers worldwide. It is hard to see a good reason not to use it. But, you can succeed with other methods too, if you prefer a different approach.
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.

Hoppy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Right now it's a question of economy and transition, really. Lots changing at once, and I'm trying to keep up.

For a couple of years I've kept soil bottomed tanks that grew without too much issue, no CO2, and no ferts beyond what the soil and water supplied.

My oto breeding efforts eventually led to wanting a low pH tank, and the only way that's going to happen easily without CO2 is with a non-soil based tank (since any of the non fertilized soils I tested kept KH way too high to have an acid tank, and my tap water is liquid rock).

I chose a peat substrate, and it's worked very well thus far. Being no more than a tannin and carbon source, I needed to adopt some form of fert regime.

My readings on EI and PPS Pro led me to believe the former was more suited to a CO2 supplemented regime.

Combined with that, the output of my RO setup is about 6.5 gal/hr, and I just picked up a 75 gal tank. 50% water changes, especially with a 20-55 gal sump, would need a WAY better RO machine.

Thus, where I am right now. Still learning, but new on the curve, so to speak.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calestus View Post
Why not split the difference between the old dose and the new dose?

Say, five or six ml instead of seven, or eight...if you rounded up.
Seems sensible, at least until the plants take off. My swords, in particular, are really liking the change from Walstad to PPS. In fairness, the otos' food isn't what Ms Walstad talked about using with her method.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
The reason why the EI method was developed and promoted by Plantbrain was that he noted that over fertilizing did not do any harm, unless the overdosage was way beyond what would normally occur. That led to the idea of dosing a bit more than the plants would ever need, with weekly 50% water changes to limit how much build up of each of the fertilizers could ever occur. It is a very simple concept. It works very well. And, it is used by a huge number of planted tankers worldwide. It is hard to see a good reason not to use it. But, you can succeed with other methods too, if you prefer a different approach.
==
Yep, after doing this for quite a few years I can concur. I have had various tanks some low-light low-tech and some high-light and I pretty much dose all of them the same. I vary it only based on size of tank. The key for me to keep the water looking good was always to be religious about water changes and keeping organic levels low. When I did this the plants always grew great.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode