Auto dosing? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Auto dosing?

Thinking about taking a shot a setting up auto dosing pumps for my ferts. My main reason I have been looking at doing is because missing doses being away for weekends/days. My question is does anyone on here use auto dosing pumps? If so what's your setup? Any recommendations? Should I go the cheaper way of lifter pumps and time them. Or wait and spend more on a proper setup? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 02:52 PM
Algae Grower

I use the the Jebao DP-4 Autodosing pump, it is only about 75 bucks on Amazon and it works great. You can set it up with 4 solutions, and I believe that it is fairly accurate once you calibrate it. I use it to auto dose PPS pro and excel, it makes my life so much easier.

You will need check valves with this pump, as I have experienced solutions backing down or slowly dripping out of the tubing. I would definitely buy an auto dosing pump instead of multiple lifting pumps with timers. It is a more compact package, it will be easier to setup, it should be more accurate, and if you ever have to change your dosing parameters or schedule it will be much easier.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 03:39 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
There are many ways to go about that... click on the Auto Dosing link in my signature to read about some.

After many years, I still use small water pumps to dose macros, and peristaltic pumps to dose micros, both driven by minute-precision (digital) timers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsnow View Post
I use the the Jebao DP-4 Autodosing pump, it is only about 75 bucks on Amazon and it works great. You can set it up with 4 solutions, and I believe that it is fairly accurate once you calibrate it. I use it to auto dose PPS pro and excel, it makes my life so much easier.

You will need check valves with this pump, as I have experienced solutions backing down or slowly dripping out of the tubing. I would definitely buy an auto dosing pump instead of multiple lifting pumps with timers. It is a more compact package, it will be easier to setup, it should be more accurate, and if you ever have to change your dosing parameters or schedule it will be much easier.

U have the one that I was looking at. for the dosing heads that u don't use u can just program them to be off correct? How long have u had it? And is the quality good for the price? I also would be dosing pps pro method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
with DIY and couple of Peristaltic pumps and an arduino shield you can do it cheaply.
as such, you can program how much you want, when, how many times etc. it is a simple project, with codes available somewhere here in the forum.

46 Bowfront:

CAPS - Chicago Aquatic Plant Society
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 02:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

I toyed with the idea once. I even procured a peristaltic pump with adjustable actions to dose the nutrients and set out the timer wiring and pipelines before abandoning the project. That was the time when I had highly lighted tanks and maintenance was getting me bogged down. Then I decided to cut down on the light and adjusted all by tanks to have a medium intense light with a slight enhancement of CO2.

I now dose only once during water change. The water I use for refilling is prepared water with all the dosage of nutrients I use + temperature, and all my tanks gets a +/- 50% water change. My dosage is based on the EI system, lower in N and without the micros but for only for the refill water - ie only 50% dosage for the tank. All my tanks have the same substrate (laterite capped with graded river sand cap) and are more or less equally planted.

My tank chores are now less hectic.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode