Why are my nitrates testing so high? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Why are my nitrates testing so high?

I test my water with the API freshwater master kit, i dose PPS-PRO and do 20% weekly water changes, my nitrates are testing at nearly 40 PPM and i believe it is causing my algae issue, however i cant seem to find the root of the problem. Any ideas to what is causing this?
On the plus side, my flagfish and otos are fat and happy.

Last edited by sohankpatel; 11-11-2015 at 09:52 PM. Reason: 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
A combination of the nitrates added with your PPS Pro dosing and those added by your fishes' waste? Cut your KNO3 dosing until you get to the level you want, then try much lower levels to see what keeps the level where you want it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by end3r.P View Post
A combination of the nitrates added with your PPS Pro dosing and those added by your fishes' waste? Cut your KNO3 dosing until you get to the level you want, then try much lower levels to see what keeps the level where you want it.
Problem is that PPS-PRO solutions are already mixed, so i would have to cut down on total macro dosing to cut kno3. Which may lead to other problems.

Bump: Also want to add that the fish dont show any issues, just a ton of algae.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
If you like do a water change 40 isnt super high. Is your test kit accurate? Have you calibrates it. Search the forum how to do it. I doubt this is your algae issue.

What is your light co2 looking like. Photo period etc.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
If you like do a water change 40 isnt super high. Is your test kit accurate? Have you calibrates it. Search the forum how to do it. I doubt this is your algae issue.

I just dropped my photoperiod to 6 hours from 7, and my drop checker is solid yellow right now, im surprised that my fish dont have any issues yet. I will calibrate my test kit.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:

I agree that nitrates likely aren't causing the algae. Isn't the conventional wisdom around here that it's usually a deficiency of either some nutrient or CO2 plus too much light that usually leads to algae issues?

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sometimes I get algae issues from the flow being reduced in a filter which means that nutrients and co2 are not being distributed well. Almost always in my case it is a co2 issue. Is your drop checker next to the place with the most algae? You might do an old fashioned check by de-gassing some tank water and comparing the PH of that sample against one that is not de-gassed.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Sometimes I get algae issues from the flow being reduced in a filter which means that nutrients and co2 are not being distributed well. Almost always in my case it is a co2 issue. Is your drop checker next to the place with the most algae? You might do an old fashioned check by de-gassing some tank water and comparing the PH of that sample against one that is not de-gassed.
6.8 vs 7.8 out of the tap
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tap water also must be de-gassed to read correctly as it usually has some gas in it. Also, the PH in your tank water is not necessarily the same as the tap so until you actually pull a sample from the tank and run an airstone in it for 30 minutes it is just a guess.

Also, those nitrate tests need to be calibrated. Mine read over 80 PPM when I actually only had about 25 PPM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 12:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
I just dropped my photoperiod to 6 hours from 7, and my drop checker is solid yellow right now, im surprised that my fish dont have any issues yet. I will calibrate my test kit.
What type of lights? PAR values?

By the far the best way to get rid of algae in my experience is to have a huge plant mass, more then you would want but get everything dialed in then dump some of the plants.

Do you have floating plants? They suck up nutrients and they provide some shade if your light isn't dimmable.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
What type of lights? PAR values?

By the far the best way to get rid of algae in my experience is to have a huge plant mass, more then you would want but get everything dialed in then dump some of the plants.

Do you have floating plants? They suck up nutrients and they provide some shade if your light isn't dimmable.
Finnex ray 2, about 60 PAR on substrate, i dont have floaters, due to the fact that i am lacking funds to keep buying plants, and i would rather keep the money for an emergency, like a disease or parasite.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode