c02 in the water? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Zorfox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
c02 in the water?

So I got a co2 checker thing....added the drops and put it in my new 55 dirted tank. cranked up my c02 t0 2 drops per second and off to school I went (teacher). Come home 10 hours later.....no change in the color of the drop checker....

so I decide to put the diffuser right next to the canister intake to make the canister help put the c02 into the water....came home 10 hours later...nothing.

I have been running co2 in other tanks for years (with no checker)

so something is amiss....either the bubble checker is a giant pile, or not enough c02 is entering the water column. So I bought and external reactor and will set it up this weekend.

fyi- right now I hate everything. Have a good day

North Dakota
125 planted, angels, rummies, c02 tank
72 bow, mystery snails and angels
55 planted, yellow neon shrimp
55 shrimp tank, rcs
29 shrimp tank, blue- not sure what kind
40 long - winter koi home
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
5.5- cycling to be another shrimp tank...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
The water in the drop checker should be 4 dKH solution NOT aquarium water as most instructions state. You can make some yourself with distilled water and baking soda if you have an accurate KH test kit.
Opare and Opare like this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I also recommend using pH solution from a pH test kit, rather than the stuff that comes with the drop checker. I've found that the solution that comes with the drop check tends to be of very low quality.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 06:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
The water in the drop checker should be 4 dKH solution NOT aquarium water as most instructions state. You can make some yourself with distilled water and baking soda if you have an accurate KH test kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randym View Post
I also recommend using pH solution from a pH test kit, rather than the stuff that comes with the drop checker. I've found that the solution that comes with the drop check tends to be of very low quality.
+1 to this advice!

Also worth noting that bubbles per second is very arbitrary as it cant really be compared to any other setup. However 2 bps is generally on the low side of co2 injection so you may find yourself cranking that up a bit as time goes on. Dont forget that when making adjustments to co2, do so in very small increments and allow 30-60 minutes to elapse before expecting results. You can dial in the co2 without a drop checker just by watching your fish closely. Once the co2 is getting a bit too high for their liking they will likely remain near the surface of the tank looking for more oxygen. Obviously that means you now have too much co2 and need to back it off a bit.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

No fish in the dirt tank just yet....I wanted to get the c02 issue worked out....I'm about to put the co2 diffuser directly under the drop checker....get some co2 bubbles to go directly into the thing to see if the solution works at all.....I did just put some tap water in the thing with 3 drops of their "solution".

Bump: This solution is suspect. I just held the diffuser directly under the thing for a minute....no change in solution color.....

ok, back to the solution drawing board

North Dakota
55 shrimp tank, rcs
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, tap water is not going to tell you much. If it has a high KH then it will take tons of co2 to make it change color and just the opposite if it has a low KH. The color means nothing if you do not know the exact KH of the solution in the drop checker.

Also note that it can take several hours for the solution to change colors. A drop checker is really telling you what the co2 level was a while ago. For more instantaneous results you should use a PH pen or check PH with a test kit. Take a sample of tank water in a jar and aerate it for 1/2 an hour using an air stone. That drives all the co2 out and this tells you the true PH of your tank water. Then test the PH of the tank after the co2 has been running for a couple hours. You are looking for a difference of a full 1.0 in PH value. For example, my PH when de-gassed is 8.2 and when my co2 is running it is 7.1

Once you get to that point you can make slight adjustments very slowly until your fish show signs of stress and then decrease the amount slightly.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So what you are saying is; the directions that came with the thing are incorrect?

I can easily do the "gassed off" "gassed in" ph test.....that makes sense and is completely doable for my small brain

thankyou

North Dakota
55 shrimp tank, rcs
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I see your'e a teacher. If you have a chemistry department you could use that to your advantage.

The chemistry teacher could use this as a real world example of why basic chemistry is important in the real world. Have the students make a 4 dKH solution for you. Then have the chemistry teacher show them how/why a drop checker works. It's a win win IMO.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

not a bad idea. Surprising as it may seem the Chem dept is friends with the music dept.
so I just might have a chance at figuring this out...

Bump: fyi
I snugged the diffuser up to the canister intake and within an hour the drop checker has started to change color.
Bollocks to the reactor folks...use your canister instead!

North Dakota
55 shrimp tank, rcs
40 breeder- planted
10- nursery
10- quarantine
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 04:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes, the directions are highly likely wrong.

The solution really does have to be 4dKH made with distilled or reverse osmosis water. No other pH altering materials- just the bicarbonate. Tap water won't work. The water company often adds other materials to the water, including one or more that can affect the pH.
The better pH reagent is best.

Good idea to use this as a teaching opportunity for the students!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsherwood View Post
So I got a co2 checker thing....added the drops and put it in my new 55 dirted tank. cranked up my c02 t0 2 drops per second and off to school I went (teacher). Come home 10 hours later.....no change in the color of the drop checker....

so I decide to put the diffuser right next to the canister intake to make the canister help put the c02 into the water....came home 10 hours later...nothing.

I have been running co2 in other tanks for years (with no checker)

so something is amiss....either the bubble checker is a giant pile, or not enough c02 is entering the water column. So I bought and external reactor and will set it up this weekend.

fyi- right now I hate everything. Have a good day

im am sorry for the struggle you went through with the difuser and check valve but i just got the best laught when i read fyi- i hate everything right now ..have a good day...

best laught i had all week thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode