Do I need fertilizer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Do I need fertilizer

I'm setting up a low tech tank using excel and 2 wpg. Should I use Flourish or would this be overkill (the tank will be stocked with fish)?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 12:46 PM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi veryzer,
Sorry to answer your question with more questions. What plants do you plan on having? What is your substrate? Flourish will add micronutrients and a little potassium and should not harm your fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roll Your Own.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
Ferts never hurt a tank no matter what type of light, C02, or plants you have. I'd start with root tabs planted next to all of your rooted plants (Seachem's is easy to find and cheap) and Seachem Excel for C02. If you start getting yellow leaves or they wilt then pick up a decent NPK+Micro commercial fert system (I like pfertz.com better than Seachem's Flourish line but ether would do) plus Excel.

- Brad

Proud member of the
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the suggestions.

Here are the vitals:
54 gallon corner tank
40lbs. eco complete + 25 lbs. regular gravel.
I'm planning on having some typical low lights though the particular ones haven't been decided. These may include:
Vals
Anubias
Crypts
Apongetons
Sag Subulata
Moss

Are there any other must haves that any of you recommend for this setup?

Also is there a particular "break in" plant should have to avoid algae outbreaks at first?

Thanks
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryzer View Post

Also is there a particular "break in" plant should have to avoid algae outbreaks at first?

Thanks
hornwort is good for that
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
For a new tank my favorite plant to avoid algae is Najas sp 'Roraima'. You can find it in the swapNshop. It grows fast, eats up the ammonia, won't shade the other plants and is easy to remove. What more can you ask of a "break in" plant?!

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:32 PM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was thinking more about the use of Excel when I requested a plant list. In my experience Excel will melt Vals. The others should be alright. Anubias will appreciate the addition of macros (NPK) as would the other plants if carbon is a non-limiting factor. With eco complete substrate, fish and fish food you should be ok for the time being. I don't use Excel (Glutaraldehyde) so maybe bradac56 can tell you how much excel you would need for a 54 gallon tank. Think twice the recommended dose and lots of cash. You could add a yeast reactor and dose excel, flourish, macros as needed.

Roll Your Own.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

You could add a yeast reactor and dose excel, flourish, macros as needed.

So I would conceivably need excel even if I had a yeast reactor?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
For a tank that big I wouldn't recommend a commercial NPK line it's just to expensive I'd personally go with dry ferts from ether { http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aq...ertilizer.html } or { http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...ditU=1&Regit=2 } and get the basics:

KN03
KH2P04
Trace (CSM+B)

Optional but good stuff:
GH booster (only used after a large WC)
Iron Chelate 10% (if you need extra iron for finicky plants)

~

EDIT: Left_C did a great spreadsheet for dosing Seachem products I just have to find the thread ... here we go it's over at APC
{ http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...tor-chart.html }

- Bra

Proud member of the
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 12:07 AM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yep, depending on your plant mass. At some point maintaining nonlimiting carbon will require less light and pruning, IME.

Roll Your Own.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I do appreciate it.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradac56 View Post
For a tank that big I wouldn't recommend a commercial NPK line it's just to expensive I'd personally go with dry ferts from ether { http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aq...ertilizer.html } or { http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...ditU=1&Regit=2 } and get the basics:

KN03
KH2P04
Trace (CSM+B)

Optional but good stuff:
GH booster (only used after a large WC)
Iron Chelate 10% (if you need extra iron for finicky plants)

~

EDIT: Left_C did a great spreadsheet for dosing Seachem products I just have to find the thread ... here we go it's over at APC
{ http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...tor-chart.html }

- Bra
On a low light tank. How do we find out what the correct dose of the dry ferts that you recommended would be?

Thanks,
Pat
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

Trial and error unfortunately, it all depends on the size of the tank, how much fish poop is made, how many plants, what type of plants (fast growers vs slow growers), etc so it's a bit different in each tank. For someone completely new to live plants I recommend starting with just the GH Booster + Excel after every water change. If the plants start to turn yellow and/or get holes in them then start adding KN03, KH2P04, and Trace once a week (not on the same day) and see if that does the trick.

If it doesn't then start doing more but at that point your looking at algae problems. Most of my low light tanks are heavily planted so I don't do more than add Excel and my own mix of GH Booster after water changes but in those tanks I'm only going for mass not aquascaping as they are species tanks setup for spawning not necessarily to look pretty.

- Brad

Proud member of the
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Planted Member

Plant a bunch of root tabs, they have caused my plants to grow like crazy. I dose 7ml of Excel daly with no problem
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 06:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ok, so NPK are the macros. In a low light tank. N comes from fish waste, P comes mostly from uneaten fish food I think? and K... where does K come from?

Thanks,
Pat

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode