Cloudy water - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cloudy water

About a week ago, my water turned milky white. I have been doing waterchanges daily, i did clear out the filter, my water parameters are alrigh. The fish and shrimp do not seem to be bothered by this, but its a pain to look at.

I use a diy co2 system and i guess it started rigt after i did a co2 bottle change. I looked it up and internet tells me its bacteria, but i havent been feeding my fish at all since the white cloud appeared, and even before, i barely fed them! Like a block of frozen larvea/2 days(becausr i get a lot of algea and the fish tend to eat them if i dont overfeed them)

Any hints?

Last edited by azazan; 11-02-2015 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Added img
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Describe your CO2 setup. Do you have a hookah/bubble counter between your yeast bottle and the aquarium?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah it has a bubble counter and 2 check valves, so i doubt its the co2, i have had the co2 for about 2 months now znd with previous bottle changed nothing..

Anyone? Do a 70% waterchange now, the day after its just as bad again

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-04-2015 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
When you clean the filter, do you touch the bio-media ?
Do you ever clean the entire inside of the tank, mostly the glass and vacuum the gravel
at the same time you clean the filter ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazan View Post
I used to do an 80% water change on sundays, and a 50% water change on Wednesdays.

Now that I EI dose, I just do 1 50% on sundays.

I've never had any ill effects from an 80% water change. The only reason I don't do it now is because I don't want such a huge PH swing after a water change.

However, I've done a test. Not on purpose, just because I needed to move fish quickly, I took 9 corys and 5 ottos, all sensitive fish. Took them from 7 ph and threw them in a 8 ph tank, with no ill effects. Do I recommend this? No, but is PH really a huge deal? Questionable.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
When you clean the filter, do you touch the bio-media ?
Do you ever clean the entire inside of the tank, mostly the glass and vacuum the gravel
at the same time you clean the filter ?
Changed it once after it got all white, i didnt clean all the glass and cant vacuum the gravel since its carpetted
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 11:36 PM
Algae Grower

a week is a long time, but it sounds like a random bacterial bloom. could be caused by any number of things adding a spike to your bio load, maybe dead fish hiding somewhere or some of your BB being killed off for some reason. I would stop the water changes and ride it out. I've experienced bacterial blooms from cleaning both my canisters on the same day, even though I don't touch the bio-media.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
"Changed it once after it got all white, i didnt clean "
If you changed the bio-media, then the reason it's lasting a while is that you took out
the bio filter. Part of that is found in the top 1/2" layer of sub and then some on the glass also. But that part of it which is in the filter does more of the work because water is being moved over it regularly.
Filters usually have either two or three layers or pads. In those/w two, the first is for particles. The first that the water goes through that is. The next one is your bio-media.
Since the first, or in a filter/w three the first two are there to keep the last one clean.
The only reason to ever touch that one is if it looks like it is falling apart.
While that pad becomes filled/covered/w the bio bacteria that cloudiness will still be
there.
Most pictures of a DIY CO2 system show three bottles. Two with the yeast/sugar in it and a third/w only water. This filters the CO2 that is coming from the first two bottles
before it reaches the tank water. If you don't have this in your DIY CO2 set up then likely that is where the first cloudy water came from.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My yeast cant reach my aquarium water, i guess it is bacteria somewhere, all my fish are accounted for... Would changing out water and adding from a well established tank help?

Or adding daphnea? I know when i used to breed them they cleared yeast and bactia out of the water really fast
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:

About a week ago, my water turned milky white. I have been doing waterchanges daily, i did clear out the filter, my water parameters are alrigh. The fish and shrimp do not seem to be bothered by this, but its a pain to look at.

I use a diy co2 system and i guess it started rigt after i did a co2 bottle change. I looked it up and internet tells me its bacteria, but i havent been feeding my fish at all since the white cloud appeared, and even before, i barely fed them! Like a block of frozen larvea/2 days(becausr i get a lot of algea and the fish tend to eat them if i dont overfeed them)

Any hints?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus View Post
Describe your CO2 setup. Do you have a hookah/bubble counter between your yeast bottle and the aquarium?
Quote:
Yeah it has a bubble counter and 2 check valves, so i doubt its the co2, i have had the co2 for about 2 months now znd with previous bottle changed nothing..

Quote:
My yeast cant reach my aquarium water, i guess it is bacteria somewhere, all my fish are accounted for... Would changing out water and adding from a well established tank help?

Or adding daphnea? I know when i used to breed them they cleared yeast and bactia out of the water really fast
Simplest answer is usually the correct answer. If this happened right after changing the co2 bottle why are you so confident thats not the cause?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Cloudy white water is often really green water in an early stage. You can check that by putting some of the tank water in a white dish so the real color shows up easier. If it is green water you can stop it with a 2 day total blackout - wrap the tank with a double layer of black garbage bags, and don't allow any light to get in for 2 days, no peeking, no feeding, no fertilizing. Other methods often just reduce the green water and it quickly grows back as green as before.

Hoppy
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

cause the bubble counter is very clear and its impossible for water to move up trough air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Cloudy white water is often really green water in an early stage. You can check that by putting some of the tank water in a white dish so the real color shows up easier. If it is green water you can stop it with a 2 day total blackout - wrap the tank with a double layer of black garbage bags, and don't allow any light to get in for 2 days, no peeking, no feeding, no fertilizing. Other methods often just reduce the green water and it quickly grows back as green as before.
Its not green, its milky white

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-05-2015 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
cause the bubble counter is very clear and its impossible for water to move up trough air
Then how do clouds get up in the sky?
Audionut and Audionut like this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 03:51 AM
Planted Member

I'd say, stop doing water changes for a few days, or as long as your water parameters can hold out and stay safe. Definitely sounds like a bacterial bloom, from a noobs perspective.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

7 days later and no change, water is still extremely milky, i haven't done a water change in 5 days.. Just to be sure i even threw in some of the filter media from my other, well established tank...

here's another picture added
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2010.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	542130  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode